Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop shuts down suddently

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eastybeasty

eastybeasty

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

hi everyone

my first post here. I've tried to get to the bottom of the problem myself without much luck so far. I've got an Acer Aspire 5735Z and running Windows Vista. I know its not exactly the newest of laptops but has served me well over the past few years. Recently it has started overheating and switching itself off at times. I have been trying to find the pattern, when playing Candy Crush on facebook is a definite, it seems to switch itself off about 15 minutes after I start playing this (my friend says as its flash driven its high cpu usage therefore makes my laptop shut down as a result of overheating). The past couple of nights I have been able to watch films on my laptop using VLC media player but when I tried to watch videos on youtube it shurt itself off after about 30 minutes. I havent really seen any other pattern to it so far.

I'm not the most technical but have taken the back off my laptop, theres no dust there or on the heatsink and have tried replacing the thermal paste as someone has advised me to do. When it shurts down the left hand side nearest the screen is hotter than it should be and it does sound like a fan is whirring but not sure what to do about any of it.

Its getting pretty frustrating not having a reliable system and I dont want to take it to a computer shop who may charge me the earth for fixing it if i can try and fix it myself. I'd appreciate any help going and if I've been too vague about specs etc please let me know so I can help others hopefully help me! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hi, can you please download HW Monitor and a post a screen shot of it in your next post which will hopefully determine if the laptop is truly overheating.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 eastybeasty

eastybeasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

hi

sorry about the belated reply. ive downloaded the program and have taken 3 screenshots, one about 10 minutes after the laptop was switched on and the other two when i was playing candy crush to demonstrate any differences. confusingly one of the scrteenshots shows minus temperatures which isnt correct and about 2 seconds later i took the 3rd screenshot and the difference in temperature is pretty high. any thoughts would be great:)

Attached Files

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Idle temperature is way to hot and when your playing the game, the temperature goes through the roof. You are definitely overheating, best thing to take apart the heatsink assembly which dust should be in the fan itself and give it a good clean, also reapply the thermal paste.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 eastybeasty

eastybeasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

Hi

thanks for replying. I've taken the heatsink assembly apart veey recently and there was very little dust which was surprising. The thermal paste has also been reapplied recently so not sure what the next step should be.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:26 AM

The only reason i can think of is the heatsink itself is defective which means ordering a replacement part. I may need to ask someone else who has much more depth in laptop repairs to check the issue. 

>Michael 

#7 eastybeasty

eastybeasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for your help so far, any other info would be appreciated

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hi

Can You run the laptop where you can feel the heatsink as you use it?

From this manual it appears that you can. http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire%205735%205735z%205335.pdf

What you need to do is check the heatsink and see if the thermal pipe has failed.

Warning! Please read this first.
be careful it can get hot enough to burn you.

To test for that, You need to feel the end where it is attached over the CPU and chipset and then compare how hot that is to the fins where the CPU fan is blowing through them. That would be the part right at the back of the laptop. If the Heatsink assembly has failed one end will be hot and the other end will be cool.

It is not common but I have seen it a few times in the last several years. Twice on Toshiba laptops, one of which was mine,  and once on a Acer laptop.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 eastybeasty

eastybeasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

hi

thanks for the reply. I've figured out the problem so thought I'd share. I actually took it to a computer shop where someone looked at it free of charge. I'd previously cleaned out the fan and applied thermal paste but he showed me a cover on the fan I hadn't seen which after removing had a build up of dust on the heatsink. He offered to charge me £60 to clean out the fan / replace it and put more thermal paste on it. Funnily enough I didnt take him up on his offer, took it home. took the laptop to bits and cleaned out the fan myself. It works perfectly fine now! I've never attempted any computer repairs before and I know its not a major repair but I'm really pleased I've managed to do it myself, especially when other people have told me to get rid of it! Thought I'd share my success story :):):)

thanks again

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I skipped past that as a cause because You had said I cleaned out all the dust.

However I am glad to hear that the problem is sloved.

Thanks for the report on the cure

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users