Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very, Very Strange Crash...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:28 PM

I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2, 512 RAM

I just experienced one of the weirdest behaviors I've ever seen a computer exhibit. I was listening to an online radio in firefox (pandora.com, which uses a flash interface to control the playback) and installing updates through Adobe updater. I spaced out a little bit while waiting for the updates to finish installing, so I'm not sure if they finished or if it crashed partway through it. As I was listening to the music, it began to speed up and get very loud (as if it were fast-forwarding at 20-30 times the normal speed). Since I had never heard the song before, I wasn't sure if it was just part of the ending. This went on for 2-3 seconds, and when I looked up, a dreaded blue screen appeared for a split-second, and then my computer restarted. I had no time to read anything on the blue screen, and I'm not sure how far through the Adobe updater was before this happened. While it was restarting, windows ran an automatic scan on the hard drive and found a damaged file in one of my temporary folders, though I was not able to connect it with any program I've seen before (it was just a string of random characters).

I need to know if this could have been caused by a program running in the background that I had no knowledge of, or maybe a glitch in one of the two programs I was using. I've never heard of anything like this happening before, and I'm hoping somebody reading this has heard of something similar happening before. Also, (I'm not sure if it's possible) I would like to know if Windows stores any log files before a crash, and if there's any way for me to look through them and maybe find out what happened.

Thanks for any help,
Prodigy

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

You could check you event viewer.

Control pannel>administrative tools>event viewer.

Edited by dc3, 02 April 2006 - 09:57 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 TechCow

TechCow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

From the sound of it, it could be a random crash caused by 2 conflicting programs so it might be something totally random. The fact that a damaged file was found in your temporary files could point to a crash during the update of your software. Maybe the update utility became unstable and caused the crash, or conflicted since you were running the software you were attempting to update. If it seems random I would say that you don't need to worry about it. If the problem continues I would recommend 2 things.

The first thing would be to uncheck the option that makes your computer reboot when you get a blue screen so you can get extended details the next time the problem occurs. You can do this by Right Clicking on "My Computer" go into > Properties > go into > Advanced > click the button "Startup and Recovery" and under "System Failure" uncheck the "Automatically Reboot" option. Now the next time you get a BSOD you can see if the error message gives you any more information on the problem.

Otherwise if the problem continues and becomes more consistent it could be that you are running into problems with your memory. This is another common cause of the BSOD error. If the problem seems consistent I would say use Memtest86 or MS Memory Diagnostic to check your memory for problems. There is a good guide on how to setup and use those programs here.

http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm8004744CPU/H...ng%20memory.htm

Edited by TechCow, 03 April 2006 - 09:53 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

A link on how to find the error in Event Viewer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Also, you can go to Start...Control Panel...System...Advanced Tab...Startup and Recovery Settings Button...and uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart". The next time the blue screen comes up, it'll stop there so that you can copy the information down.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, I haven't had any other experiences like that one since my post, and hopefully I won't have another. By the way, nothing special showed up in the event manager...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users