Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver installation problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bearodactyl

Bearodactyl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

I've been trying to solve this for several days now, many many hours of work with little results, so I'm taking off my hat and going to a tech support forum.

I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite L840, and with it came Windows 8. Windows 8 is not for me, for many, many reasons, especially the fact that it absolutely cannot run my favorite DAW. So, naturally, I decided to downgrade to Windows 7. I used a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit installation I have used many times with great success. This time, however, I've ran into issues that appear to have come from the combination of a Toshiba laptop, Windows 8 and USB 3.0 ports amongst other things.

So I've ran windows update and updated all important and optional updates. Usually at this point, everything works great minus a couple of drivers I might need to manually install which has never, ever been an issue for me in my life. I am unable to connect to a wireless network, and I have three USB ports on my computer, two of which are USB 3.0. Those two ports definitely react to having things plugged into them, they make the single USB 2.0 port unresponsive, and devices definitely take power from them but they are not recognized by the computer.

Didn't take me long to find out that I am missing some drivers. "This small challenge is no match for my plethora of experience in this area". This is what it displays as missing in Device Manager. They are all under the "Other Devices" tab where there is nothing else, and they were the only tab opened when I initially opened device manager, so my computer is definitely somewhat aware of the issue.

Wireless Controller

Network Controller

SM Bus Controller

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Unknown Device

All of these devices have little yellow signs stating that they are not working properly. So, first thing first, I right clicked them and urged windows to search for the drivers within my computer and online, to instant non-success, every time. That must mean I need to download them manually.

I started downloading 64 bit drivers that apply to my model of computer and windows 7 operating system, all by the book. Throughout struggling with this seemingly easy task I believe I managed to fix the wireless controller, somehow, at some point, because it no longer shows up as not working properly. Basically, even though I downloaded the correct drivers for the correct model of computer and correct operating system, and even tried some in basic variations after that, they fail to install in a couple of different ways.

Quite specifically, I've tried updating Intel Chipset drivers and USB 3.0 drivers. With the intel chipset driver, it gets halfway through installation and tells me that I "Do not meet minimum system requirements to install this driver". Which is odd to me, as it is the driver made for my system. I even looked at the system requirements in the readme file of the driver download and my computer meets all of them. The USB 3.0 driver doesn't even respond after I extract it and windows asks me if I trust toshiba to make changes to my computer. No installation program comes up, so I went into the download file and tried using the setup.exe application to, well, set it up, and it informed me that I do not meet minimum system requirements to use the specific driver that I need to use. I looked into the readme file that displayed system requirements that my computer, just as last time, meets just fine if not greatly exceeds.

So, basically, I am unable to connect to a wireless network, I cannot use 2/3rds of my USB ports, I am having issues with my "SM bus controller" which I am unsure of the use but I think it has something to do with the chipset driver update, and a further unknown issue. I have tried many different driver installations from different sources, something I have not tried is selecting a driver from the device manager page but I am unsure of what kind of file I need to select, nothing from the driver installations can be selected which I suppose makes perfect sense as they are installation applications and not drivers themselves. I do not know how to get ahold of the drivers themselves alone.

Basically any input or help with this is greatly appreciated, as I'm having issues with completing schoolwork and using my DAW(need three USB ports to have it function in the way I'd like it to). I could get a USB hub as a temporary fix but the network issue is less patchable.

Here are some specifications:

Toshiba Satellite L840

Windows 7 Home Premium(2009)

Processor: AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon™ HD graphics   2.70 GHz

RAM: 6.00 GB (5.47 usable)

64-bit Operating System

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Please provide us the exact model number.

Example:L840-BT2N22

#3 Bearodactyl

Bearodactyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

Please provide us the exact model number.

Example:L840-BT2N22

Yeah, I realized after I posted that there is a more specific model number. For one thing it's actally an L840D, and on top of that I cannot figure out which of the three L840D models it is, which makes me feel like a loser. On the bottom it says L840D and nothing after that, on the box it says L840D and nothing after that, in multiple places. When I view my specifications it does not even give me the model number of the computer. Is there a way I am supposed to discern which one it is? and does it matter anyway since the same drivers are used across multiple models?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

Try using the auto detect link http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/generic/SUPPORT_PORTAL/ and see if it will provide the complete model number.

Tekken

#5 Bearodactyl

Bearodactyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

Try using the auto detect link http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/generic/SUPPORT_PORTAL/ and see if it will provide the complete model number.

I investigated some and Toshiba isn't too specific with labeling model numbers on their products.

So on that website, entering the serial number did nothing, using the auto-detect program yielded no results, and this makes sense because if you select your product from the drop-down list, it goes straight from Satellite L830 to Satellite L850, as though my model mysteriously is nonexistent. Perhaps this has something to do with it being the European site, "Oh, that's the model that has fatal driver problems every time you put on a new OS, don't send it to Europe. The Americans can deal."

On the American site, it has the L840 series listed, but it does not have any kind of detection program. Under L840D, it has listed:

L840D-BT2N22

L840D-BT3N22

L840D-ST2N01

It has a Part number below the model number on the box and computer, the part number is PSKFCU - 04F002. Googling that model number yields no results, however, googling PSKFCU does, it appears that the L840D - BT3N22 uses a PSKFCU - 005002 part, and the BT2N22 uses a PSK98C - 00G001. The ST2N01 uses a PSK98U part, would that mean that my model is a BT3N22 or some kind of strange anomaly? I can find no results for 04F002.

I have figured out one thing at least, and that's that Toshiba is sadistic, loves chaos and hates simplicity. I spent a good solid two and a half hours speaking with an Indian man in a call center about my issues, to be referred to a dead end expert line, learned nothing useful there.

So, I just ran the serial number through yet another toshiba support website, not sure how many there are, and it was kind enough to tell me that I'm using a Satellite L840D and that my Part Number is in fact PSKFCU-04002, if there was any confusion over that matter. I am having a complete lack of success in finding a more specific model number, and I've still had no progress with my driver problems. I can access the internet through a USB modem which I just happen to have, otherwise it does not connect wirelessly or through ethernet.

#6 Bearodactyl

Bearodactyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

Also, to make things less confusing, I've discovered yet another L840D model, L840D-1000 which uses the part PSK9EL, as well as an L840D-00F model, and I'm sure there are more. And in this list, I found one instance of the second part of my part number associated with a Toshiba laptop, but it does not use the first part:

PSK00U-04F002

http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/pages/supported-toshiba-models-17.html

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

Please do not post multiple replies :) Gets confusing to read.

Download your drivers from here

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=3478398&rpn=PSKF6U&modelFilter=L840-BT3N22&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

Does that work?

#8 Bearodactyl

Bearodactyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Please do not post multiple replies :) Gets confusing to read.

Download your drivers from here

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=3478398&rpn=PSKF6U&modelFilter=L840-BT3N22&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

Does that work?

This is one of the many pages listing Toshiba drivers I've been to, always running into problems, but I decided, what the heck, I'll try again and record specifically what goes wrong with not one but two separate driver installations.

The first one I tried was a Wi-Fi driver, "TC70128600e", also titled Intel PROset wireless Wi-Fi driver, seemed useful so that I'd be able to work on my computer issues while I'm in town. That one actually went through the full installation and boasted of success, but if it's the driver I need to connect wirelessly to the internet it was unsuccessful, and I'm getting worried throwing random wi-fi related drivers onto my computer without knowing what they will do, I am already suspecting that I will have to re-OS my computer one more time once I know specifically which drivers I need to install because of the mess this is making.

The second one, which has the more prevalent and vexing problem, was the USB 3.0 driver titled "TC70126100i", supposedly this one will make it so the USB 3.0 ports work on my computer. I installed this one from the website you sent me, after filtering for Windows 7 64bit, and after running the execution file and the extraction program that came up, it asked if I trusted Toshiba to make changes to my computer. I clicked "Yes", and then nothing happened. I read on one website that this is common amongst the drivers, and that I have to open up the execution files in winrar or a similar program and use the setup application within it. So, I did this. when I ran the setup application, it instantly told me that my computer doesn't meet minimum requirements to install the driver, even though it's supposedly the driver for my model of computer running my specific operating system. So, I opened the readme file and looked at the driver's system requirements, here they are:

CPU:

3rd Generation Intel Core Processor Family

2nd Generation Intel Core i3

2nd Generation Intel Core i5

2nd Generation Intel Core i5 pro

2nd Generation Intel Core i7

2nd Generation Intel Core i7 pro

Intel 7 series/c216 chipset family(panther point PCN)

at least 1 gigabyte of available memory

Sufficient HD space in <TEMP>

That is not the only driver I have tried to install that has told me I do not meet system requirements.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

What kind of Windows 7 disc did you use to install? Retail version or OEM disc?

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

<<I used a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit installation I have used many times with great success.>>

Does that mean...that you have used the same license to install Win 7 using this particular disk...on differing systems?

Please post the Speccy link previously requested.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users