Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 XP Mode in a domain

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 oblivion62

oblivion62

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hi :>

I've taken my time about this, but I'm only now finding out about XP Mode for the first time.

The short version: there's an application I support that requires a 16-bit NetBIOS stack to work. WIn7 doesn't have one, won't get one, so the only way to make this program work on a Win7 machine is via XP Mode.

I've done all the basic stuff. XP Mode is installed, the VM is created and runs, the application's published to the host and Everything Works.

It's the startup process that's bothering me. Two things: first, the first time it loads it takes an age to start. If I'm never intending the full XP desktop to be visible, do I still need antivirus and the like installed in the VM? How far can I strip the XP machine back before I'm taking risks with stability and security?

The second thing: the Win7 user will already have identified himself to the domain. I can see that I can choose to save the current credentials or not, for future runs, but what I'd like to make it do is inherit the credentials of the currently logged-on user in the host. So I maintain network security but don't overburden the user with extra logins.

I can't use the "store credentials" thing because I can't guarantee that the person who last logged into the VM will be the person opening the VM next time -- but I DO need the VM to be a member of the domain, because XP mode is being used for a network application and membership of a specific AD group is used to determine whether the current Windows user is allowed to run the application.

Has anyone done anything like this? Or can think of somewhere I can find a way to do this? (Yes, I've looked in all the docs I can find!)

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users