Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC stuck in 16 bit color!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Alex009999

Alex009999

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi guys. For over a week now I have been having this issue and the anxiety of it all is driving me up the wall. I believe the PC issue happened first. I don't have much money to blow so I been trying to narrow down the problem before I call some repair guy.

PC issue: Pc Monitor stuck displaying 16 bit color + images and videos do not appear sharp at all. Horrible image quality for photos and videos while text looks fine. This occured sometime after my pc fan was running really loudly as a result of a new Nvidia Driver on Feb 18th 2013. Possibly my motherboard or such got overheated? I hooked up another monitor for testing but problem remained. Therefor the issue cannot be merely my monitor. Under device manager instead of displaying full name it simply shows ''generic pnp monitor''. In desktop under 'screen resolution' and 'advanced settings' it shows generic pnp monitor + '32 bit color' yet the display is clearly only 16 bit. Thus this must be a hardware issue or a software issue. Possibly corrupted video driver? Images and videos also appear rough. It's worse than just a 16-bit color issue.

TV Issue: Additionally every single television in my house has a very similar color problem. Extremely pale colors but with abundant over saturation especially on reds which can sometimes be extremely bright and appear to bleed. Overall the color range is absolutely reduced. How this happened I have no clue but all 3 televisions without exception have this issue. Changing color, brightness and other settings does nothing to solve the problem. When I check the menu on the LG remote control at the bottom of the picture settings it states RGB-PC for some reason. An LG correspondent informed me that this means my LG television is displaying in RGB despite it being hooked up only via HDMI. The faded colors and over saturation is an issue present in all 3 televisions in my home. It appears the 'color space' might be effected. Rogers Cable guy came but said the cable boxes were fine, he mentioned that the signal feed was high but the turned it down a bit though that did not resolve the issue. He said the problem could not be on their end but who knows.

I am at a loss of what to do right now. How is it that my PC is effected but also every single one of my televisions? Every single tv cannot simply have broken components all of a sudden and all at the same time. The faces of any person often comes up pale orange and if there is a light source the over saturation is extreme. If there are certain reds on the screen they appear extremely overblown. I am concerned that my television along with my family's tvs will have image burn in or other issues eventually aside from this current mess.

My PC is Windows 7 64 bit

Nvidia Geforce 550ti

8 gigs of ram

AMD phenom II quad core @ 2.6ghz

Our Televisions are (likely not relevant):

LG 42LK520

Samsung UN39EH5003

Sony Wega Triniton 32 inch something

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xdISHh0aLyxV1atHNBlYLae  -my detailed computer information

Edited by Alex009999, 27 February 2013 - 10:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

My first thought is that the graphics card is overheating.

If this is a OEM computer please post the make and model.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Alex009999

Alex009999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xdISHh0aLyxV1atHNBlYLae

Here is my computer info.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

40c is well within temperature tolerances, so it doesn't look like a overheating issue, this could change under stress though.

Since you didn't post any information for a OEM computer I assume that this is a custom build.  What is the make and model of the PSU you installed?

Is the inside of the case free of dust?  Especially the heat sinks and fans.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Alex009999

Alex009999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

Oh I think this might be it...

Product ID: 00359-OEM-8992687-00010

It's not a custom build. I got it from Bestbuy about 2 years ago.

Edited by Alex009999, 27 February 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#6 Alex009999

Alex009999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

When the computer froze and I had to shut it down by holding the power button while the fan was really loud is when this may have all started.

Is it likely that my motherboard got damaged in some way?

Also I have uninstalled Nvidia drivers, ran safe mode, ran driver sweeper and malwarebytes, and even installed an older graphics card. One which originally came with the computer. The 16 bit color issue remains as well as the over saturated colors. Even the windows start up logo is quite overblown in terms of saturation.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Safe Mode uses a different graphics driver, so the quality will be poor, this is normal.  You will have to boot into normal mode to see any difference.

Was this problem occurring prior to the hard shut down?

#8 Alex009999

Alex009999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

No. It began after that. When after I am not exactly sure but it's possible that it was directly after. I am in normal mode now and the problems are the same. Even on dif graphics card. Images btw looked the same in safe mode. They looked just as bad as they do now in normal.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Have you reinstalled the graphics driver?

When a hard shutdown occurs it can damage any applications which are running at the time.  Just to be safe here I would like for you to run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Go to  Start, click on All Programs, click on Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, click on Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Type sfc /scannow and then press ENTER:   

This scan consists of five parts and will take a while to run.  You will need to be patient and allow it to complete.  Stopping it while it is still running can damage your operating system.

If the scan stops after successfully completeing a part of the scan for more than five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

#10 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Can you try to do a system restore to see if it will fix the issue? I don't know if it will or not, but it's worth a shot.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#11 Alex009999

Alex009999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Can you try to do a system restore to see if it will fix the issue? I don't know if it will or not, but it's worth a shot.

I've done a system restore to a previous state and it didn't solve the issue.

Reinstalling Windows might be my next option.

Though someone on another forum suggested since all my tvs and my pc are having the same issue this likely could be voltage issue. Hopefully our tvs and monitors aren't ruined.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Have you tried the sfc /scannow?

#13 Alex009999

Alex009999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Have you reinstalled the graphics driver?

When a hard shutdown occurs it can damage any applications which are running at the time.  Just to be safe here I would like for you to run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

This scan consists of five parts and will take a while to run.  You will need to be patient and allow it to complete.  Stopping it while it is still running can damage your operating system.

If the scan stops after successfully completeing a part of the scan for more than five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

Thanks for the suggestion. I really do appreciate all the help. Hopefully we can somehow figure this out. It's a relief that you and others are actually replying. I been feeling so helpless with all this for days.

I tried the scannow and it said it did not find any integrity violations.

An electrician is coming in tomorrow. In the meantime I will try to remain hopeful. Maybe I'll reinstall windows w factory setting but it makes me really nervous. I saved a lot of files onto an external harddrive in case I decide to go through with it.

How such a similar problem is effecting all display devices has me thinking this has to related to voltage or something similar.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I'm a retired electrician, and if you were having line voltages low enough to effect you TVs other appliances would be having problems as well.

As for the televisions, I would be looking at the incoming signal, eg cable, satellite, etc.  TVs for the most part will either operate with sufficient voltage or not work at all.

#15 Alex009999

Alex009999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'm a retired electrician, and if you were having line voltages low enough to effect you TVs other appliances would be having problems as well.

As for the televisions, I would be looking at the incoming signal, eg cable, satellite, etc.  TVs for the most part will either operate with sufficient voltage or not work at all.

An electrician is coming in today. Is there anything specific I should inquire about? We live in a condominium if that changes anything. I have very little knowledge of these things.

The Rogers cable guy days ago mentioned the tv signal was very high. He said he put it down a bit.

Other appliances appear to working fine I believe.

Possibly a power surge caused all the issues w the tvs and pc?  I'm worried that our tvs and pc + monitor might be damaged and in need of repair. The LG guy I called said my tv needed a panel replacement or something. Since it was outputting RGB despite being connected via hdmi. $245 right there. I didn't want to believe it because lets face it most of these guys would just money in their pockets and I really don't have much at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users