Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Trouble

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:36 PM

ok well i bought one stick of 128 MB SDRAM for my dell L700CXE (its a few years old) and its got 64MB of RAM...well heres the issue, the RAM i bought meets all the requirments and its the right kind (PC100) but after taking out the old stick, putting in the new (i did it RIGHT) and then finally turning on the power... the computer starts beeping and the light on the power button wont come on.. its like it started but it didnt actually start...
anyways i know i installed the stick correctly because i tried putting in the old 64 MB back in and it worked.. so i have no clue what went wrong.. like i said, the computer just beeps and wont boot up.
right now ive got the 64 back in the machine and its running fine but since its only 64 MB its painfully slow
please help :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

compatibility isues.or bad stick, most likely compatibility
one of 2 things may work for you
1.try another name brand of memory
2.try flashing your bios with the newest flash>sometimes this cures some compatibility issues.

dells, from my experience, are like laptops when adding memory, they are very picky about the module. i just recently has the misfortune of doing the very same thing to 2 different dells, one a bios update worked, another, i had to order different modules from our supplier. it was picky
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:14 PM

whats BIOS??

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

If it's a old P-II or P-III make sure you are using Low Density Ram. Also some RAM only works in an AMD system. It will say or be marked, "For Via chipsets Only!"
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

I have to agree that it looks like a compatability issue, if you go to most any manufactuters site they will have a means of matching your RAM with modules of theirs which will be compatible. Most have a three step process to identify your RAM, they will ask what type of computer it is (desktop, laptop...), and for your make and model of your computer, or motherboard if it is a home build, and then show you a list of available modules which they will have tested for compatability with you computer.

You can also download Everest Home Edition, go to motherboard, then SPD to find out exactly what you have for RAM, it will tell everything you want or need to know.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

The BIOS is the basic input / output software that is part of the motherboard, the BIOS contains all the code required to control the keyboard, display screen, disk drives, serial communications, and a number of miscellaneous functions.

I would not flash the BIOS, it dosen't look like this is your problem, and I would try clearing the CMOS before I would go to the extreme of flashing the BIOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:48 PM

ok well i looked in my computers manual, and it turns out that dell is very shcrewd, in that they want you to buy the ram FROM THEM... turns out i need DIMM DDR not SDRAM....

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:51 PM

You can still buy it other places.

Here is one:
http://www.crucial.com/

Use their wizard to tell you exactly what will work in your computer.

#8 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:15 PM

well im currently looking on newegg, but ill try crucial.com , thanks enthusiast

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

Here's a few more

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/where...uy_results.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 ihateadware52792

ihateadware52792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

thank you very much enthusiast, im probably going to get the RAM from CRUCIAL, great site thanks!

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:53 PM

Any of the major manufacturers are good, its just that Crucial's wizard will tell you exactly what will work.

Once you know the specs of what you need you can get it from any major manufacturer and be confident.

Crucial does make an excellent product though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users