Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Freeware Programs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cost

cost

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:12 PM

Is there any good freeware or shareware programs that allow you to create cool graphics fairly easily?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

See our thread here for some Graphics Design & Editing freeware.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 cost

cost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

Thanks, I had a look at these but any idea of which is the best one for designing and morphing graphics

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:36 PM

Designing - that depends what you mean. All the freeware programs have basic "painting" functions but if you are looking for more advanced capabilities like textures, layering, smudging and other pseudo-photographic stuff, 3D effects, etc. then (I think) the only freeware that will touch that would be the GIMP.

Morphing - There's a good freeware program called WinMorph. Sometimes it's unstable so it pays to save your work often but the results are good. http://www.debugmode.com/winmorph/download.php

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

Hello,

I agree with Rimmer on using the GIMP. I would also recommend that you check out InkScape. It's an Open Scource, scalable vector graphics program (SVG) that allows you to import popular image formats and create high quality vector images. It will also export files in PNG,(a popular format that supports layers and transparent type images) so if you plan on using the images on the web your covered.

The vector type graphic will allow you to scale images, and keep the same high quality because instead of coloring by the pixel, it uses math coordinates to specify coloring regions.

Note:
There are free Photoshop plug-ins that also work with the GIMP, and will add more commands to use on images.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users