Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally Hit "NO" In UAC And Now CutePDF Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ignotus

Ignotus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'm on 7 x64. I was using CutePDF Writer (free) 2.8. I don't recall ever seeing a UAC prompt in the past when printing with it. Tonight, I saw a UAC prompt when I attempted to print. Like an idiot, I clicked NO in the UAC window without fully reading it. I just assumed it was for an update because I don't recall seeing one before. I didn't want to update as it was working fine. Ever since clicking NO in the UAC window, CutePDF has stopped working. I have tried printing from Word 2007 and Notepad. When I click print, I see a spooler icon in the system tray for a minute or so, but I never get a "save as" dialog for saving the resulting PDF file and no file is created. I tried uninstalling CutePDF, rebooted, then installed version 3. I still get the same behaviour. If I disable UAC, reboot, and then try printing, it works correctly. I turned UAC back on and rebooted, and it doesn't work again. I have searched with Google for an hour probably and read various things and cannot find any way to modify, view, or access the list of items blocked or allowed with UAC. If I could just get it to prompt me again, I would allow it, but it won't re-prompt. I figure it has to be UAC since CutePDF works with UAC disabled. This really makes me just want to disable UAC and forgoe any security it may give me. This is ridiculous that you can't modify a block list or reset UAC or something. :killcomp: TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TaxPro

TaxPro

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

What kind of error are getting when you to print while UAC is turned on?

BMK

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Right click on CutePDF, then "Properties", Then "Compatibility" tab and checkmark "Run this as administrator" box.

Click OK.

Restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Ignotus

Ignotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

There is no error message, it just fails to show me the "save as" dialog to choose the location and name of the PDF file it creates. After 30s to a minute, the spooler icon disappears from the tray and nothing else happens.

Broni, that was what I was going to try initially, but I wrongly assumed that it just installed some type of printer driver and that there wasn't any executable that I could modify. After poking around in the Program Files directory, I found an executable called CPWSave.exe. It must execute this file to give you the "save as" dialog I'm guessing based on the name of the file. "Run as administrator" is already checked and greyed out. I clicked on "change settings for all users" on the compatibility tab and then unchecked it and OK'd the change. After unchecking the box, and then trying to print, it worked correctly. I didn't restart. You did point me in the correct direction, thanks. CutePDF Writer appears to be working now.

That still leaves me wondering if there isn't some list or database of apps for UAC that you have previously YES/NO'd. If you click NO, will the app ever cause a UAC prompt again? If not, then surely there is a way to take it off the list or force it to prompt again. I know I'm not the only person to ever erroneously click on NO to a UAC prompt.

#5 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Why don't you just turn off UAC?  I don't quite understand what it's for anyway, and turning it off has had no noticeable effect on my computer.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Turning UAC is not recommended for an average user.

It's safer that way.

That still leaves me wondering if there isn't some list or database of apps for UAC that you have previously YES/NO'd.

Not that I'm aware of. It must be some registry setting but I'm not sure where it's located.

Probably the fastest way to fix the situation is to use a restore point from a day before.

If that's not possible for whatever reason then you have to do what you just did.

Good job :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users