Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not turning on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RythmicJea

RythmicJea

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

I have a Gateway, but I don't know what the model is anymore. I bought it in late 2010 and can give you numbers to determine what it is. I run Windows 7. My computer will not turn on. I press the power button several times and it has taken longer and longer for it to respond. It doesn't seem to turn on unless it is plugged in (but no battery drainage has occurred). When it seems it has successfully turned on the screen will remain black and I have to do a hard shut down. I have tried to start it up while the batter was out and that did not work. Today I started it up and the fan went on but only for a second or two and then almost seemed to freeze. After about 15 minutes of trying (letting the cord stay plugged in to see if it was the battery) it finally turned on. I am afraid to turn it off for fear that it won't ever turn back on again. I can unplug the computer and it will stay on just fine. 

As of now, I will just leave it on, probably take the battery out so it doesn't fry. I ran a thorough virus scan to see if that might have been the problem but everything comes up clean. 

Thank you!

Lea

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

The make and model of this laptop should be on the bottom of the case, it would be helpful to know this.

You won't fry the battery if it is left in while running off of the power supply.

How are you determining that there has been no battery drainage?

Are there any other issue aside from boot problems?

My first thought is your battery needs to be replaced.  Through normal power cycles a laptop battery generally will last two or three years.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RythmicJea

RythmicJea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thank you for your reply. This issue seems to have corrected itself. There was a windows update last night and I had no problems with turning it on today. I'm used to get getting a little buggy before an update is applied; however. it's never been this extreme. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users