Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is slow/freezes up, but low CPU/RAM usage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darkjfman

darkjfman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Let me explain how this get started, and the steps I've taken to try and fix it.

My laptop has i3 CPU 2.53GHz, and 2GB RAM at the time I bought it in May 2011. HP probook 4520s. It was working great this whole time, except the fact the battery is extremely horrible on it. Besides that, I didn't have problems.

Around August of 2012 I started playing computer games on it (WoW, and Steam games), due to the fact I was always away from my Desktop. Still working fine for me at that point, even though it didn't like Steam games that much (I stopped not too long after). Couple of weeks ago I stopped playing computer games, and only played flash games online. Then out of nowhere it stopped getting really slow on me, to the point the CPU and RAM would spike to 100%, I would instantly close all programs. That didn't fix it, the CPU would still remain at 100%, and RAM goes down to around 20%. The only way to fix that is to shut it down for a few minutes, then turn it back on.

So at that time I assumed that it couldn't handle flash games that well, because it's the only time CPU and RAM would reach max. I stopped playing on it, and used it only for work, but even regular program now would spike it up to 100% CPU until I turn it off for a while.

So since I decided it was bloated from pre-installed HP programs, and others I've downloaded I decided to format my computer and upgrade my RAM to 8GB (only one available at bestbuy at that time).

Thinking this would fix the problem, it ran fine for only a day. Now I still can't play flash games on it (fresh install, upgraded RAM), and the odd thing is that it would slow down tremendously even with my CPU usage at 3-5% (at least my CPU isn't 100%... lol), and my RAM at only 11%.

My final solution is that it may have overheated beyond a fixable point. Any input/advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

did you ever clean the cooling system of  dust build up inside ,on a lot of  newer laptops this is accessible under covers[held down by a few screws] on the bottom

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 darkjfman

darkjfman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Ok, I just did that. computer has  been running for about 25 minutes with no lag. I hope it was because of dust build up.

I did look at it when I was installing the RAM, and I couldn't notice any. But I just went over the whole laptop when I broke it back down, and it did seem to fix it.

Thanks.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

your welcome ,hopefully that all it was ,it doesn't take much dust to make a laptop hea tup,so little room for air flow

happy computing

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

They pointed me to start a new thread here so that you can help me.

so posting to this thread is not starting a new thread ,you need to start a new thread ,out side of this one is where you do that,on the upper right side ,look for the black icon that reads START NEW TOPIC

Mod Edit:  Post you responded to has been removed, next time such situation occurs...please just report the topic, rather than respond, thank you - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2013 - 08:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users