Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Telewest broadband - Ethernet to USB

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 B34R

B34R

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:11 PM

Hello there.

I wondered if someone could give me some help since I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have recently got telewest broadband (256k). The engineer who came round left me with a setup disc which instructed me to establish an internet connection using my ethernet card and the rj45 cable provided. Now the problem is I want to share the internet connection using a hub, (with my comp acting as server) which connects to the NIC which is currently wired up as mentioned to the cable modem. However the cable modem can also be connected using USB. When I connect the USB my computer detects it and creates a new connection (I'm using XP by the way). However it cannot connect to the internet using this connection. When I look at the network properties it claims that the connection has limited or no connection to the internet and that the problem was caused because no network address was assigned to the computer. Is this because the other connection is still active? When I disable the ethernet connection it makes no difference. Do I have to remove the ethernet connection? DO I have to manually configure the network properties for the USB device? I would use the telewest help but they are generally useless and I have very good responses from this site before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(The cable modem provided is a Motorola SURFboard SB5100 USB Cable Modem. My NIC is a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC.)

Just thought I'd add that I can't afford to buy any new hardware at the mo, so the method I've chosen for internet sharing is the way I wish to go at the moment.

Edited by B34R, 15 November 2004 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:18 AM

You will only be able to connect to the ISP by either the ethernet cable or the USB cable but not both. The cable modem is only capable of transporting 1 ip address.
If you wish to use the USB then you will have to go through the boot process again.
If you wish to hook both computers up the best and most secure way would be to purchase a router they are very inexpensive and will provide you a way to connect a small home network.

#3 B34R

B34R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:57 AM

Thought that was the case. Problem is I don't know how to remove the ethernet connection already established. There is no clear cut way to uninstall the blueyonder service. I should also note the setup CD provided does not seem to give the option of USB install. I shall do some research.

Thanks.

Edited by B34R, 16 November 2004 - 03:59 AM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:13 PM

You may be able to go into the device manager and uninstall the USB connection. Then just plug in the ethernet one as it should not need a driver to install as it uses your network card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users