Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed to repair file on xp recovery console

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shud2

shud2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hi there,

I have never written a post in one of these forums so bare with me.

I have encountered the pretty common problem of 'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.  please reinstall a copy of the above file' 

Now I have already taken the necessary steps to fix this problem but nothing is working.

I downloaded and burned a xp_rec_con.iso file to a disc. I then went onto the recovery console pressing r on the boot cd.

What confused me here was instead of having one installation of c:\windows I had 4 in the format shown below

1: C:\minint

2:C:\WINDOWS

3:E:\MiniNT

4:G:\WINDOWS

I then selected option 2 and typed:chkdsk /r. When it finished (an hour later) I restarted and found the problem remained. I continued to do this for all four options and no joy.

I persisted to see could I solve this problem by typing: Copy d:\i386\ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32.exe

It responded with 'The system cannot find the file specified'

I tried typing: expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32.exe

It responded with 'The file name,directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect'

My computer is quiet old. Its a HP Pavillion dv 8000 with a dual hardrive.

Can someone please send me in the right direction. 

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

I misread the post, I thought that they could boot into Windows.

Thanks narenxp

Edited by dc3, 27 February 2013 - 09:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

OP cannot boot into windows so using sfc /scannow is not possible

Boot into recovery console and use this command

expand D:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ C:\Windows\system32

Press Y and <enter> to overwrite the file

Restart the PC

#4 shud2

shud2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thank youon for your responses. Still no joy though

I tried expand D:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ C:\Windows\system32 and it gave the same response as when I tried expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32.exe which was The file name,directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

I also tried the advise provided by microsoft support @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

I tied the steps in part one of this and when I tried copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system 

on the third set of lines and it said 'the system cannot find the file specified' yet when I continued to copy the rest of them it seemed to work.

Im no computer whizz so hopefully you or someone can understand this and help fix it

Thank you

#5 Wepynx

Wepynx

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hey buddy, take a look at this.

http://www.toptrickstips.com/2011/07/trick-to-repair-windows-xp-without.html

#6 shud2

shud2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Thanks mate, I took a look but that looks to only apply if you can access windows. I need solutions to use on the Recovery Console. Ahh I might just throw it off a bridge at this stage. Maybe the fish will have more luck. Thanks anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users