Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to diagnose wireless issue?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

I can't get a wireless connection on for this laptop I'm working on.  It's a compaq presario CQ57.  Oddly, it has one wire connected to the card... but looking it up, that's the way it's supposed to be.
It seems to have worked here and there and just caused a little trouble.  I was told that the key to turn it on stuck sometimes... but, that's not what I'm seeing happen.
When you try to turn it on it says (in an hp little popup)
"The wireless devices on your computer are turned off.  To turn on the devices, press the wireless button"

I'm googling and googling trying to find a solution.  Tried holding the button in longer.  If I close the message and press the button, the message pops up again.  So, the button works in the sense that it at least knows I'm pressing it.
I tried connecting a wire, and two, from another wireless setup...  I tried updating the drivers(they're up to date), I tried uninstalling the device and letting it reinstall... 
It SAYS it's working properly.  But, I can't seem to get it to turn on. 
I would pop in another card to see if it was the card but I don't have another one that small to fit in there.  I've looked it over, can't find any physical switches on the machine.  So, I'm going to keep googling but I'm not sure what comes next trying to troubleshoot this.  what do I look at/for next? 
Quite likely unrelated, the LED backlight is not working so I've got to replace the screen. 
Any thoughts appreciated...  I'll get back to googling...  smile.png

I JUST realized this may be a networking issue, not an internal hardware issue(even if it is a hardware issue).  Could someone move this?

Edited by millipede, 26 February 2013 - 11:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

A little more troubleshooting and I got it solved.  First I downloaded and installed the wireless assistant.  That allowed me to make sure it was turned on, or at least it said it was.  I was going through a LONG list of troubleshooting I found online for wireless problems... 
I went to check and make sure it was "enabled"...  I mean, why wouldn't it be right?  It wasn't... and, clicking "enable" did nothing.  So, I clicked "diagnose".  It could not fix the problem itself but it said there MIGHT be a problem with the driver.  I wsa fairly certain I had the latest update for that driver.  I had checked multiple times.
Anyway, I uninstalled the card, driver and all...  It reinstalled itself fairly easily and found a much newer driver(that I couldn't even find up til then, even on the compaq/hp website) and now, it all works again.  Weird... 
Oh well.  It's working.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I did a quick search as soon as I saw "wireless assistant", the first thing I read was that is has to be enabled.

Glad you found it. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users