I'm working on an XP pro SP3 latitude laptop with Symantec endpoint protection 11. I have disabled symantec while troubleshooting.
It is a member of a domain but I do not have domain admin logon so I'm working on it through the local admin account.
Everything seems to work fine, except when opening ie, an error message is returned. No other information is given other than "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
If I open up a command prompt I can tracert to an ip address, but it takes a very long time, almost 5 minutes. I cannot get a domain named resolved.
I can connect to the router's user interface.
I have run malwarebytes, many problems on the first run, no problems on any other run, in safe-mode and not in safe-mode.
I have flushed the dns cache, and have checked the hosts file I have run combofix with no problems, I have run tdsskiller with no problems, I have run netsh winsock reset, I have run SFC, I have run CWShredder with nothing found.
I have tried different browsers and different nic cards.
It does get an ip address if I choose to obtain one, I have tried configuring static ip with different DNS servers.
I am sure it is a dns problem, but what is causing it, I don't know.
I have banged my head against the wall, nothing found!
I know there was a question here similiar but it was never answered.