Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to web sites, can connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gileon7

Gileon7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm working on an XP pro SP3 latitude laptop with Symantec endpoint protection 11. I have disabled symantec while troubleshooting.

It is a member of a domain but I do not have domain admin logon so I'm working on it through the local admin account.

Everything seems to work fine, except when opening ie, an error message is returned. No other information is given other than "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

If I open up a command prompt I can tracert to an ip address, but it takes a very long time, almost 5 minutes. I cannot get a domain named resolved.

I can connect to the router's user interface.

I have run malwarebytes, many problems on the first run, no problems on any other run, in safe-mode and not in safe-mode.

I have flushed the dns cache, and have checked the hosts file I have run combofix with no problems, I have run tdsskiller with no problems, I have run netsh winsock reset, I have run SFC, I have run CWShredder with nothing found.

I have tried different browsers and different nic cards.

It does get an ip address if I choose to obtain one, I have tried configuring static ip with different DNS servers.

I am sure it is a dns problem, but what is causing it, I don't know.

I have banged my head against the wall, nothing found!

I know there was a question here similiar  but it was never answered.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

What os is your domain controller running (Windows server 2003, 2008,2008r2 Small business server)? Is your dns server your gateway device or do you have a firewall?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Gileon7

Gileon7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

What os is your domain controller running (Windows server 2003, 2008,2008r2 Small business server)? Is your dns server your gateway device or do you have a firewall?

The laptop is not currently connected to the domain. It is an out of office machine that cannot be reconnected to the domain. It had worked fine without any problems for two years.

That is why I am logged on as the local administrator. I'm nearly positive it does not connect because of damage done by malicious software, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I have tried so many different things to no avail, many more things that I have listed because it would just take too long. I'm open for any and all suggestions, without reinstalling the OS.

As far as the network setup, there are no problems with any other machine. And as I said, it can connect to the router interface, and can reach ip addresses. It just will not open up a web site. Even if I put the ip address into the browser it will not open the site. Due to the length of time it takes to tracert to an ip address, it appears that it times out, probably the dns lookup times out also that is why nothing opens.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Sorry for the delay, busy week at work last week that spilled into today. Please download and run MiniToolBox and post your log in your next post.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 March 2013 - 09:55 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 Gileon7

Gileon7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Sneakycyber,

My apologies, I went ahead and reformatted/re-installed. All is well. I had run minitoolbox, and though I'm not the most experienced with it, I didn't see the problem.

I am a bit upset that I could not find the problem for future references.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thats ok, I know its frustrating not knowing the cuase of the problem to prevent it in the future. A reinstall in generall fixes allot of them though.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users