We have two computers. An Acer Aspire 1 using XP and a Toshiba Satellite using Vista. Our service provider is Orange (now EE). A forum that we regularly use was recently moved (about 2 weeks ago). The result is that the acer running XP takes an age to find the site and if a tab is clicked on the site it takes over 10 minutes to resolve the new page. All other sites worked fine. The Vista machine had no problem. We tried flushing the DNS and finally did a factory re-install. Problem still there. I edited the Hosts file and no change.
If We use a Vodafone dongle there is no problem. I also logged on to a neighbours wifi using his password. I could not access the site through his Talk Talk ISP. Additionally could not access Google mail either and now can no longer access that through the Acer on our router although with the Vodafone Dongle no problems with any site. I have tried using an ethernet cable rather than wireless to the router and no difference. It seems as though XP is hanging onto an incorrect DNS. Any thoughts? Seems to be very much an XP problem.
Edited Hosts file to include fiftyplusforum
# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
# For example:
# 184.108.40.206 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 220.127.116.11 x.acme.com # x client host
Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2013 - 08:13 AM.
Moved to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.