Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there another way to load windows without reformatting?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ynn3j

ynn3j

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

I recently reformat my desktop. OS windows xp professional Pentium 4. its an old desktop bt its very usefull to me coz my 5yr old daughter uses it.

I paid a technician to reformat it coz the dvdrom is not working.. just recently done that. dont want to pay again. How can i load windows without reformatting?

When i start the desktop its only until loading memory etc then black screen. i tried
1. Press F8 to run in safe mode. ddnt work. it only reads bunch of letters then stop. i had to restart.
2. Press F8 again and tried last known configuration dat works. It was just black screen.

Sorry not techy...
What to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

My suggestion...replace the optical drive.  Many are available for $10-20, which I suspect is far less than one would pay any 3d-party to reinstall Windows.

Assuming that you actually have valid install CDs...that would be the way to go.

If the system is an OEM (made by HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.), then there may be a built-in restore-to factory-defaults mechanism on the system.  These normally depend on hidden partitions created by the manufacturer...if the hard drive has been previously totally formatted by someone where all existing partitions were deleted...then the restore-to-factory-defaults option would not be able to do what it was designed to do.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 ynn3j

ynn3j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

Thanks Louts...Sorry for the late reply..il try that..but before that i wanna know what this means...i tried System Recovery but it froze at

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\DeepFrz.sys

that is the same were it froze when i tried running under safe mode. 

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2013 - 08:43 AM.
Typo corrected - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users