Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just saying hello

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nekela

nekela

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:55 PM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue] :trumpet:

Hi my name is Neal and I live in Lacey , Washington. I have been around computers for about 8 years , but I am no expert on them. I am 76 years old and am getting quite forgetful. In fact I think I have a touch of CRS. Drop in and say hello anytime you wish. :flowers: :thumbsup:
[B][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]

"LINABOCBACOS"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:02 PM

:thumbsup: Glad to have you part of the site!

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:45 PM

Welcome to you - nekela

Peruse the site. More than enough here to keep our brains stimulated. (Sometime too much for me!) :thumbsup:

Hope you remain active with us!

regards
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:52 PM

Having Senior Moments, my friend? Pay them them no concern, you've a quarter-century on me and I'm considered an "old-Timer" I'm sure! :thumbsup: We are so happy to have you, Neal, and if I can break free off the hectic pace of the darndest problems that seem to continually plague us in our innocent enjoyment of the Internet... i will stop by and see 'ya!! I live just south of Tacoma, and make my way down I-5 fairly regularly, so stick around, poke around through the "vast" resources here at BC, enjoy the company of those folks who like a clean machine to type & click at. :flowers: BTW, you are about 5 years further at using PC's than I , also.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:14 PM

:thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 nekela

nekela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:51 AM

Hi phawgg
I figured I would run into someone from around this area , but not this soon. Thank you for the welcome message. I have been fighting with these machines for about 8 years and I am glad to see Microsoft finally put out a pretty stable operating system.
I have had Win XP for about 3 months now and am really impressed by it. I just wish they would plug up all the holes they have in Internet Explorer. I quit using it and am using Mozilla Firefox as my browser.

Neal :thumbsup:
[B][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]

"LINABOCBACOS"

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:53 PM

I quit using it and am using Mozilla Firefox as my browser.

You will never regret, my friend. Tabbed browsing, plug-ins available for customization... you can type in: about:config in the address field, press enter & see everything that makes it tick (unlike IE that is still shrouded in mystery). The "tools" feature up top is dynamite and I love the Bookmarks-->manage bookmarks feature. Click-drag to a new folder and literally hundreds of website links are easily organized. Use the special bookmarks toolbar folder for the ones like bleepingcomputer.com and they are listed everytime you open the browser, makin' it a one click to here kinda deal. BTW, when using about:config, I learned from a "coder" who spends time here, to do this: (with thanks to raw)

highlight the address in the field by placing the cursor to the right of the address. click. (or click-hold-drag to the left works, too.)
type in the words: about:config
Hit "enter"
type in the word: pipelining where the filter field is

Posted Image

double-click willchange each line from false boolean value to true, and the centerline will ask you for a maximum number that 16 will work instaed of the 4 that is default.

What this does is allow more "things" to be done at one time, which in turn will speed up the browser response time..

PM me by clicking your "My Control Panel" near the top on any page while you are onsite and then "compose new message" add my nicknmae in the field and let my know of directions to your place, I am planning on driving south as soon as I can get some new tires and a front-end allignment done to finish up what started to be just a front disc brake pad replacement. Like everything, including stuff we do with bleepingcomputers it ends up taking more time and gettin' more involved. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users