Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop missing, can't refresh

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1063

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

I am not sure how to even google an answer for this.  Basically I have a laptop that is used by multiple users. Each user is able to log on, see their desktop and offline files except on this laptop!

When a user logs into this "bad" laptop, they get a generic desktop and their personal network drive is inaccessible. The sync center is also not even in the notification icons. If I log into admin, I do have my offline files, sync icon appears but the desktop is still generic and sync isn't working. I checked by adding a new folder to the desktop through explorer and refreshing the desktop.  The laptop is on the domain but behaves as if it isn't. Using win7 pro.

The folder paths show that it isn't directing towards AD unless on Admin account. I have deleted profiles in regedit. Restarted multiple times. We use group policies through AD.  Everything looks up and up on AD.  I have tried gpupdate, disabled sync and renabled, removed from the network and added back and even ran malwarebytes just in case.

I don't know where to go from here. I would hate to have to reimage the machine when another one had this issue but recovered on a couple of restarts.

Edited by 1063, 25 February 2013 - 08:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 David D

David D

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Do you get a message when you try to log on? If so , what does it say? Also, are you using a local or roaming profile? If it is roaming, make sure you have enough disk space on the computer to download the profile. Did you check the event viewer to see if there are any errors when you log on?

When you say removed it from the network, do you mean you removed it from the domain and rejoined it again?

David

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Make sure the member(s) are not associated with the guest group or domain guests membership. If they are then remove them from the membership, and it should resolve the issue.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 1063

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

There is no message when logging in. Instead it logs on super fast because the desktop is virtually empty.  They are roaming profiles. Nothing in the event viewer but account already logged in which shouldn't be because they can be logged in up to 6 w/o issues.

The disk space looked fine.  I did remove it from using the network wireless and added it back not the domain sorry if unclear.

#5 David D

David D

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Here are some more things to try:

-Make sure you can ping the server by name on the laptop.

-Remove the profiles from the laptop to force it to download the profile again when you log in. The profile may be corrupt on the laptop. If you are afraid of losing data, just rename the profile folder on the laptop.

Based on my experiences, using a roaming profile on a wireless network does not always work. If you lose your wireless while you are logging off the computer, you may corrupt your profile. It has happened a couple times to users here at work.

If you are still having problems, I would remove the computer from the domain and rejoin it.

David

#6 1063

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Still same issues with the laptop. Deleted profile keys from registry. Not sure what is going on. Even ran a task to fix the syncing. My next step is to try this separate sync fix by Geek Post.

#7 David D

David D

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

Did you try to ping the server by name? Did it work? Did you try renaming the profile folder on the hard drive? Can you access the server from the laptop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users