Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

board battery issues.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

The usb ports all failled on my son's pc. So I bought and installed a pci card with usb ports. Now when I start the machine, it goes to the "windows xp" page and then quits. If I take out the board battery and put in a new battery it just does the same exact thing!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

The article the link below will take you to is very comprehensive and should have the information you need to troubleshoot this problem.

Microsoft Windows XP - Resolving USB controller installation issues

What board battery are you referring to?  The CMOS battery?

Edited by dc3, 25 February 2013 - 12:56 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Yes

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

The CMOS battery keeps the settings in the BIOS, this includes the time and date.  I don't believe your problem is related to this.

I had suggested checking out the link that I provided to see if this works.  If it doesn't there's a chance that the USB controller/s are integrated on the motherboard, if these fail you are looking at a new motherboard.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

I built this computer for my son several years ago. It has an MSI motherboard and an AMD Athlon cpu. The usb ports that failed are the ones that are part of the board. I was hoping I could get by with with just adding a pci card that has four external and one internal usb 2.0 ports. I just got home and have yet to go tinker with my son's desktop and try to apply the information I got from the link you sent me, but i will and i will get back to you! Thank you!

#6 arizonaredhead

arizonaredhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

I got it fixed, thanks!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

A happy ending, outstanding!thumbup2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users