Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

I was just wondering what a good AGP card used to play The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion would be.
I need one in the $100-$200 range.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

Lets see, the recommended GPU requirements are an ATI x800 or Geforce 6800 series card. with the minimum being a 128 MB dx9 card.

My specs are 2 gigs ram, Athlon 4000+ cpu, and a MSI nx7800 gt (256, PCIe) and that will get me around 30-40 fps in major areas with the graphics settings auto detected.

On Pcdirect.com, I found a bfg 6800 gt 256 agp for about $270 so I'd imagine that it'll be around that much for one of the recommended video cards.

Other than that I think that the Nvidia 6600 cards were good midrange choice when it was released but I don't know the better choice of cards with the newer series from both ATI and Nvidia (though I'd image that its becoming more of a battle of games being optimised for a specific brand and preference since both ATI and Nvidia cards I've seen in benchmarks are neck and neck)

#3 Twistshifter2

Twistshifter2

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

ATI RADEON X1300 PRO 256MB AGP

this is a good one....
here are the stats for it

API Supported DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
Device Type Graphics adapter
Enclosure Type Plug-in card
Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
Interface Type AGP 8x
Manufacturer Warranty 1 year warranty
Max Monitors Supported 2
Product Description ATI RADEON X1300 Pro - graphics adapter - Radeon X1300 Pro - 256 MB
System Requirements Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Video Memory Installed ( Max ) 256 MB - DDR II SDRAM

price for this runs about $168.95
might want to check and see if will work with your motherboard first though
What It Do!!

#4 gled10

gled10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:50 PM

6800gs is the best best card you can buy for under $200. The 6800gs has the same performance as a 6800gt. The only reason the 6800gt cost more is because they are no longer manufactured and are becoming increasingly rare. Google 6800gs, any manufacturer will do, but I'm partial to BFG because of their unlimited lifetime warranty.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:13 AM

The EVGA e-GeForce 6800 GS is a good card but it's slightly out of your price range. If you're an ATI fan, I suggest the Sapphire Radeon X850PRO 256MB. Both of these cards are available at most online retailers but they are becoming increasingly difficult to find. Have fun in Cyrodil!

3939.png

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:39 PM

The X1600Pro eats all the cards posted here. It's probably the best AGP card out there.

Tom's Hardware on the X1600 Pro

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:20 AM

The X1600 Pro is a very good card, but it requires the aging AGP motherboard. Developers are starting to move away from the AGP standard, in a few years AGP won't be around. It's just not practical to buy a new computer with it built in. It's nice to see that developers haven't forgotten about AGP, not everyone wants a brand new comp just to use PCIe. Which of the PCIe cards do you suggest buying? I have the Radeon X1900XT.

3939.png

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:59 AM

IMO, once again, the X1600. Not the Pro, the X1600 XT. The XT has a 256-bit memory interface whereas the Pro only has 128-bit. The doubled mem interface equals higher gaming performance. Although, they share the same amount of pixel shaders, vertex shaders, and pipes, the XT eats the Pro just because of the mem interface.

If money is no object, then I would suggest getting the X1900XTX, then an aftermarket cooler. I hate those hairdryers that ATi puts on them. If you don't care about money, then get the higher X1k series cards. If you're on a budget, then the X1600XT (for PCI-e), and the Pro (for AGP) would do.

I know that I didn't mention nVidia at all here, that's because nVidia is lagging behing ATi. None of nVidia's chips can handle AA and HDR rendering at the same time. Maybe we'll see that with the release of the G80 chipsets when nVidia releases them. But until then, I'm sticking with ATi.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:02 AM

Great cheap card is the Nvidia 6600GT. Buy one that's already OC'd from the manufacturer (I think EVGA does it) and it shouldn't let you down-->good clock speeds and very fast. You could find one for about $100, give or take a little.

If you do go with a better card, make sure that your power supply can handle it!!!!!

On the more expensive side of the house, a Nvidia 6800GS is a great card. I have the OC'd EVGA one, and it's fantastic.....runs F.E.A.R., BF2 with no lag and great FPS. The thing that holds me back is my cpu, it's a 2.93 celeron D (no laughing), so if you're cpu is slow, don't get mad if your machine fails to perform like you'd expect!

6600GT from Newegg.com
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

lol, 6800 gt's are rare? I have almost no use in my 6800 gt in the other computer since its agp and now I have my computer with a 7800 gt.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:19 PM

I'm not going to be getting a GeForce card for a while, I had to RMA my 7900GT CO three times back to EVGA. I've heard that many of the manufacturers of the 7900GT's are overclocking outside the limits Nvidia set for the cards. Check out the forums over at EVGA and you'll see a bunch of very angry and upset people theorizing what could be causing their cards to fail. The 1900XTX is good, but it's a marginal improvement over the XT. A good power source is required for the top-of-the-line models. Cooling is also an important issue, the card puts out alot of heat. The stock cooler on mine is doing ok, about 70 degrees C after playing Oblivion for a few hours.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users