Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open Ad-Aware or Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ishenanigan

Ishenanigan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

Hi,

My name is Aidan. My problem is not a major one since I haven't really had any major problems that I can think of but I am pretty sure I have picked up some spyware since I can no longer open either Ad-aware or Malwarebytes. The Ad-Aware folder says (empty) on the start menu but it is there on the uninstall programs menu.

I am running Windows 7 and I also have AVG installed which has thus far discovered nothing leading me to believe that it might be spyware rather than a virus.

Thanks.

Edited by Ishenanigan, 25 February 2013 - 04:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hello -

First step, Please try to delete Ad-aware program. If you can not uninstall it, then Reinstall and try to unstall again.
Use the Control Panel > Programs and Features to find if the program is listed -

Please try to use Malwarebytes Chameleon to scan your computer.
The full directions are included in this link above from Malwarebytes Help Section.

Try these 2 options first -

Thank You -

#3 Ishenanigan

Ishenanigan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

I have uninstalled Ad-aware successfully but I can't find how to get to Malwarebytes.

I found an access folder:  Computer > Local Drive (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Chameleon

There is only one entry in the folder: mbam-killer (application).

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

When I click on Malwarebytes, in Windows Explorer it gives me Tools > Chameleon, not mbam-killer

There is a chance that a major infection has disabled you from reaching any Antivirus Etc.

Since there is little more that I can do in this area of the forum, unless another person posts, follow this > >

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting from step 3.

If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, and what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow His Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Please be patient as the area can be busy at times -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users