Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 VERY SLOW internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brmommy

brmommy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

I'm trying to help my elderly mother with her computer. Just the last few weeks the internet is really slow. The other computer on their network is still fast. I just downloaded malwarebytes and microsoft security essentials and nothing was detected.

I have no clue what else to check.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

Hi... Please post the computer model/brand next time and is it connected by wired or wireless? Run aso a speedtest and post the results after. http://www.speedtest.net/

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#3 brmommy

brmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Dell Inspiron 1545

It is connected by wireless. Same results on her home internet and also here on my home internet. Takes minutes for a page to load.

As far as the speedtest, that page will never load. I've tried multiple times. It just says "Internet Exporer cannot display the webpage" It looks like it is trying to load but nothing ever happens. Other pages like this forum will load, but it takes several minutes for this page to even open. 

Edited by brmommy, 25 February 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#4 brmommy

brmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

I finally downloaded Firefox and I could run the speedtest. It is very good now.  Ping 10ms,  Download 6.75Mbps, Upload .72Mbps

I'm guessing at this point, the problem must be something to do with Internet Explorer. She is 80 years old, so not sure if I can get her used to a new browser or not. Will try if we can't figure out what is wrong with Internet Explorer.

#5 brmommy

brmommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

I have resolved the problem myself.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor