Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This computer is all sorts of screwed up and I don't know where to start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hey guys, I think this is the appropriate forum to post this type of problem in. If it's not however I'm sure that you guys could re-direct me and put me in the right direction. I have an HP G56 running with 3 GB of RAM with an Intel Celeron processor. Any other specs that are needed can be easily provided and clarified upon request. My problems may sound vague but I figure I'd start and you guys could could help me finish. I've heard that this model was a mistake but I figured I'd give it a shot and see what could be done. I got this computer as recompense for doing a friend a favor. I can now see why they were so apt to give it away.. lol Basically what's happening is that the computer is slow, laggy and eventually shuts down on me after overheating if it's been on too long. The mouse pointer is also slow and laggy and hops all around the page on whim. After a while, the processes in task manager take up an obscene amount of data. Also, the "This copy of winndows is not genuine" keeps popping up and I'm not able to make it go away. If anyone could provide any insight on these problems or at least tell me where to start it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time. 

If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TaxPro

TaxPro

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

Overheating can be caused by many different things. It could be defective hardware. I'm not going to try to address it more specifically, because hardware is not my area. But I will challenge you with this: What leads you to believe that the PC is overheating?

The problem you are describing with the mouse pointer could also have many different causes. There are settings that allow you to adjust the sensitivity of the pointer and the touchpad; you could check those. Or, once again, it could be internal hardware that is defective or wearing out. Have you tried using an external mouse?

"This copy of Windows is not genuine" means that Windows has failed the license validation on the Microsoft server. It is probably a pirated copy of Windows.

You didn't identify which version of Windows it is.

If it is in fact a pirated or cracked version of Windows, then the PC may also be infested with malware, spyware, or worse.

The problems you are describing are so serious that I'm not sure it's worth your time and energy trying to clean up or fix this machine.

I am not suggesting that you simply give up and throw it away.

You should probably just wipe it clean and install a new operating system.

You have a couple options available that will allow you to test the computer with a fresh OS, to see if it runs well, without spending any money at first.

Does the PC have a Microsoft label with a product key on the bottom? If so, what operating system is it for?

For most versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7, it is possible to download a clean, valid .iso image of the OS, and burn it to a DVD, at no cost. But you don't get a product key.

You can then install the operating system, but you can only use it for 30 days, and then you have to activate it with a valid product key.

In other words, you can install a new OS on the PC without actually buying it, just to see if it will run well. If it runs well, and does not appear to have serious hardware defects, then it might be worth paying for a license key for Windows 7 or Windows 8.

The only other suggestion I have would be to try booting the PC with a live Linux disk, and see how well it runs that way...

If you don't know what a live Linux disk is, you probably don't want to go there. Linux is really not that hard to use, but you don't want to try to learn how to use Linux for the first time on a seriously dysfunctional PC.

But if you're gonna do it, I recommend a lightweight distribution called Puppy Linux.

Linux is an open source OS that is available at no cost, in many different versions.

If the PC runs well on Linux, then that tells you that the hardware is in good condition, so it might be worth buying and installing a new Windows operating system.

BMK

Edited by TaxPro, 25 February 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Does it still have a COA sticker?  Is the sticker readable?  Does the hard drive have any restore partition on it?  Likely not with a non licensed install, but you never know what a previous owner has tried to do.

Honestly, first thing I would do format and reinstall clean.  Overheating could be due to a clogged cooler, or more likely to a CPU that is maxxed out continuously from so much garbage running in the background.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users