Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista problems with McAfee Internet Security, IE8 and More

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PJkrenz

PJkrenz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

First, I apologize as this is my first post on here and I am unsure if this is the appropriate place as I don't know if it is a virus or an issue with software compatibility.  My mother's friend has an eMachine that is about 5-6 years old.  Recently, she received notification to update and renew McAfee Internet Security, which she did.  She turned her computer off and when she turned it back on the next day, she was no longer able to download anything from the Internet (Internet Explorer 8).  I verified that nothing can be downloaded (tried downloading more recent versions of IE, Malwarebytes, Chrome, etc.) Additionally, when you type in "hotmail.com", it simply loads as a blank white screen.  I should mention that when you first launch Internet Explorer 8, it warns you about the security settings being too low, her settings are on medium-high.  I tried to open McAfee and all that happens is a blank white window.  I then tried to run the system in safe mode.  That didn't seem to make any difference.  The final thing I want to mention is that all of her shortcuts on her desktop were non-functional.  I was able to get those fixed by creating new ones, but it was weird that all of them stopped working.

I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2013 - 07:44 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

For the time being uninstall Mcafee.You can reinstall it later.

Restart the PC.Do you still have other issues?

#3 PJkrenz

PJkrenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thank you BC Advisor for your response, I am going back over there tomorrow and will try uninstalling McAfee first and let you know!  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users