Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove "Take Ownership" registry entries

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skeeter71

skeeter71

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Hi,

Let me see if I can explain this. Since installing a registry editor called "Context Menu Take Ownership" a couple of days ago, I have had problems saving files to my desktop and accessing files located on my desktop.http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/112795-context-menu-take-ownership.html

When I choose to save a file .. save as>desktop, It takes a full two minutes for my desktop to load in my "save as" dialog box. I can't change to say "documents" until the desktop has fully loaded into the "save as" dialog box.

I then downloaded the remove "Take Ownership" reg editor at the same website above. Ran it and sure enough, there is no more option to "take ownership" of a file/directory when I right click.

However, I still have the same problem saving to or accessing a file located on the desktop, from a program (any program, on my computer, or on a website such as a "upload images") using the "save as" or trying to access the desktop to retrieve a file.

This makes me think there are some registry entries that need to be deleted. I don't know what though.

I should also point out, I did a system restore and system restore could not complete because of a registry issue.

Couple screen pics attached. One showing a blank "save as" dialog box with desktop selected. The other is the desktop fully loaded after about 2 minutes.

I originally installed take ownership because I could not get "read only" changed on a directory. It didn't even fix that. Rebooting did though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hello -

There has been a few comments on this program, and the Reverse script seems a bit "flawed".

I was going to first direct you to that site, but I note you have already tryed it - Lets go the long way -

There is 1 listed solution, but be advised it is for advanced users, and I will post it next -

Could you first - Download Security Check by Screen317 from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/securitycheck/
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe to open it, then press the Space bar to begin the program.
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

#3 skeeter71

skeeter71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Here it is. Thanks

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.59 
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled) 
 Internet Explorer 9 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Disabled! 
AVG Internet Security 2013  
 Antivirus up to date!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.70.0.1100 
 Java 7 Update 13 
 Mozilla Firefox 17.0.1 Firefox out of Date! 
 Google Chrome 24.0.1312.57 
 Google Chrome 25.0.1364.97 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent```````` 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui.exe 
 AVG avgwdsvc.exe
 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamscheduler.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 1%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

The first post was to check if you had any conflicting Security Programs only -

Hi -

Please note that I have left several warnings and doubts in the post.

It is your choice to use it if you wish to, but any registry changes can lead to requiring a full fresh install -

I was about to post the fix by Brink in the original tutorial, but I noted you attempted that.
This is from a post the same as yours, asking M/soft MVPs what else can be done - I have left a link to the original post as I reworded a few minor things, and added Warnings -

This should not be performed by someone with no idea of Windows Registry - Based on a post from Windows Forum
NOTE: Always Modify the registry at your own risk.
FIRST See - How to back up the registry prior to any registry fix -

Can't remove "Take Ownership" from Right Click Context Menu < < Original Post for you to read -

Offered solution that seemed to work -

You probably have some type of security software interferring with the download.
Perform the following carefully.
1. Open Notepad and copy/paste the textbetween the lines into Notepad.
 -----------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]
 "HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
 @="\"%1\" %*"
 "IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

----------------------------------------------

2. Click File / Save As in Notepad, name the file  ownership.reg  and save it to your Desktop.
3.  Right click  the file and select the Merge  option.
Log off / Log on and check the results.
Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system.
Although this is a Microsoft MVP generated fix cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. 

You may also need to delete this key:
Click Start and type regedit - Right click on it and select Run as Admin .......
Now look for this key > >

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\takeownership

Anyway I don't think the above implementation will work in Windows 7. Takeown needs elevated Command Prompt to run and that can only be invoked (via the r/c menu) using "runas".

Thank You -

#5 skeeter71

skeeter71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

It didn't work.

I couldn't find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\takeownership

I only have 1 restore point prior to the take ownership install. My system restore doesn't work due to registry errors.

Crap.

I'll see if my Operating System instructor can help me after class tomorrow.

I sure don't want to have to do another install of Win 7. I just did one last month because of another screwup I did:(

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Thank you for leaving the update for us - I will remove that fix from Bookmarks -

Please let us know if you find another solution -

Thank You -

#7 skeeter71

skeeter71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

After speaking with my operating systems instructor, he said the registry is corrupt and a clean install of win 7 is the only fix. Not what I wanted to hear. Last time I did a clean install, it was a 3 day job to to get my computer back to the way I wanted it:(

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Bummer -

We can keep looking for answers, but Google had almost nothing I would offer to you -

Sorry -

Edited by noknojon, 26 February 2013 - 12:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users