Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keeping terminal on top when installing drivers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 intaki

intaki

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

How can I Keep the terminal in view when installing drivers. I am supposed to copy the comand and then paste it on the terminal. When I try to copy the next command, the terminal goes away. I can't understand how to keep the terminal in view.  I am an absolute beginner in linux. Any help would be appreciated and I will keep trying.

I'm trying to install NVIDIA -Linux-x86-310.32(1).run driver into Ubuntu 210.04(upgraded to 210.10) which should allow me to use the 3D Blend application.  Thanks again, aki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Alt-Tab usually brings whatever is behind the front window back to the front.

Often highlight text, right-click, copy, go to terminal and Shift-Insert will paste. Also you can do the same with hightlight, Ctrl-C and Shift-Insert in the target window.

In some terminals (not xterminal or rxvt, to name just a couple) you can also access a right-click menu, or one at the top of the window, where you can choose to paste from the clipboard.

Those are how things usually work. There are desktop environments where they don't. But you being a new user, I have doubts you're using FVWM or TWM as a desktop. Most likely it's Gnome of KDE, and those commands work fine in both.

Highlighting will copy text to a different clipboard, and then hitting the middle mouse button will paste it. Sometimes based on setup, the middle mousebutton may not work. Or you may be using a mouse that doesn't have one. In that case clicking the left & right buttons at the same time does the same as a middle button click. This particular method of copy/paste should always work in any enviroment that uses a mouse.

#3 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

thanks for the info. aki

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on a second computer that I occassionally use

to get use to the new desktop. I either pinned the terminal to the side panel or it

is there by default....I don't remember. But if the terminal is not in the side panel in

your case, I would pin it to the side panel. Then, all you have to do is click it and it

will reappear and you can continue pasting your next command.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Peace:

great idea!  Also, I learned to use crtl+alt>t  to get the terminal and then using alt+tab to get the terminal back. Thanks loads, aki

Ps. I still can't install Nvidia -Linux-x86-310.32.run driver?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Please tell us what video card and computer you are attempting to install a driver for.

Manufacturers....models...

Did the original install of Ubuntu identify the video card and install a driver for it?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Peace:

K8Vmx series

Memory   432.1 MiB

Graphics  Unknown

OS Type  32 bit

Disk          14.1 GB

This is the info I got from System Details. 

Thank you for any help, aki

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

So, asked another way...how did you determine that Nvidia -Linux-x86-310.32.run driver

is the correct driver? Is there a graphics card or on-board graphics?

What happened when you first ran the Ubuntu Live CD before installing....did it recognize

your graphics card? How good or bad was the monitor image when only using the Live CD?

#9 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

Peace:

I used unetbootin and installed it from a flashdrive. All graphics were good.

When I tried to use 3D blend,  it installed but would not display anything.

I followed the upgrade instructions for 12.10.  After that, the astronomy app.

which worked before, didn't after the upgrade.  The reason I wanted to use

the 310.32 version of Nvidia was that I read it was needed for 3D.

The Graphics card in this machine is APG 8x(i think). In windows xp, my

other OS, this was the recommended driver(again, i think). aki

Edited by intaki, 05 March 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Which astronomy app didn't work after upgrade? I use Planet Finder sometimes for identifying

what I'm seeing in the sky. That's about all the applet is good for....which is all I needed.

Have you tried uninstalling the app and determining if it is supported in 12.10? 

Generally, it is better to not do an upgrade but instead to do a clean install.

The reason is because of what you experienced. The best chance of success

in doing an upgrade is to first remove any added applications that did not come with

the original install of Ubuntu. Especially the non supported ones.

#11 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Peace:

thanks loads for your response.  Will get bact asap. aki

The app was Solarium from Software Center.  At first it worked ok but as stated above, didn't load.  I uninstalled it.

Edited by intaki, 06 March 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Solarium or Stellarium ?

#13 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Peace:

the stellarium

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

My suggestion....do a clean install of Ubuntu 12.10 or 12.04. That will get rid of

any corrupted install files or whatever is causing the problem.

Only use the video driver that Ubuntu installs.

Read the info in links below:

Stellarium Ubuntu Releases : “Stellarium” team

You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:stellarium/stellarium-releases to your system's Software Sources.

How do I use software from a PPA?

#15 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Peace:

Thanks for the info.  We are getting reay for a bad storm so I will

be inside, working on your suggestions! aki

0 user(s) are reading this topic