Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed on User folder hierarchy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 syncmaster

syncmaster

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Users. "This is where, by default, all of your documents and files sit, and it is also the location of the Windows registry, 

The database of settings for Windows and your software. Within the main Users folder, there is one subfolder for each user and another folder called Public, where shared files and folders are kept. There are also hidden user folders called Default and All Users."

why is it that, within the main users folder,  my user subfolder is not called mike, but it is listed as New User?
    How do i change this to show my name instead of New User. Because the old owners name was still showing on her subfolder, called shazz. Which i've since deleted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Users. "This is where, by default, all of your documents and files sit, and it is also the location of the Windows registry,

Not really the location of the whole registry - but one part of it. More comprehensive explanation of registry http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/

The database of settings for Windows and your software. Within the main Users folder, there is one subfolder for each user and another folder called Public, where shared files and folders are kept. There are also hidden user folders called Default and All Users."

Some of the settings yes - I might argue that more setting are in the software registry hive that is in c:\windows\system32\config\ software

why is it that, within the main users folder,  my user subfolder is not called mike, but it is listed as New User?
    How do i change this to show my name instead of New User. Because the old owners name was still showing on her subfolder, called shazz. Which i've since deleted.

When you first create a user account it titles the folder that goes in the users directory - you can go back and rename the user but it does not change the name of the folder or the true windows logon name.

To change the folder name you have to add a new user - title it what you want the folder named - log out of the current user and log into the new user account that you created - move any documents, pictures, music, videos, favorites that you want to keep - the go back into users and delete the old account that you no longer want.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 24 February 2013 - 07:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users