Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN98 CD Rom drive issues D: Is not accessable. the device is not ready

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Moltres Rider

Moltres Rider

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

I was given a Compaq Windows 98 computer and the guy said the CD ROM drive needs to be replaced... I have three CD ROM drives confirmed working on other computers that I tried putting into this computer and they ALL experience the SAME issue that the guy described was wrong with the drive. it errors out as "D: Is Not Accessable. The Device Is Not Ready." Device manager reports that there is drivers and the device works properly but the error STILL persists!!! can someone help me fix???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

You can try to fix this by uninstalling the CD drive and the Secondary IDE Controller from device manager and rebooting. Windows will reinstall them as you boot up. Its certainly worth a try.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I know this applies to windows xp but it may work with the windows 98 computer, Microsoft has an article on this =>HERE<=

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users