Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Red lines running down entire display.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lnd3939

lnd3939

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

I have Windows 7 and the monitor is a Syncmaster 204B. The red lines seem the worst when the computer is first turned on and seem to get better after a few minutes. I did some research but did not really find anything that matched my issue. 1 thing I did try was uninstalling and reinstalling my display adapter (NVIDIA GeForce GT 630). When the adapter was uninstalled the lines went away but returned after reinstalled. Drivers are up to date. Any thoughts?

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2013 - 03:53 PM.
Moved from Audio & Video to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

The only test I could suggest is using another monitor and onboard video if available with the same monitor to check on the difference.

Tekken

#3 lnd3939

lnd3939
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

I switched to an old monitor and the red patterns went away. I also took apart the Syncmaster and made sure all the connections were tight and that the capacitors were not domed. All the connectors and everything on the boards looked okay but after putting the monitor back together and hooking it back up there was no change in the issue.

Could something else be wrong with the monitor or is this a driver/software issue? What is the next step in troubleshooting this issue?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

The problem is pin pointed by the old monitor working.

Is this monitor still under warranty?  If so, take it back.

If it isn't, the hourly price for tech work may make it more reasonable to simply replace the monitor.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 lnd3939

lnd3939
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

The problem is pin pointed by the old monitor working.

Do tell, I would love to know what the problem is so that I can fix it.

No, it is not under warranty and there is no place where it can be taken back.

Unless something went wrong with the monitor at the exact same time that I bought the new computer, I do not believe that replacing the monitor would fix the issue. Besides, I would simply go back to the old monitor before buying a new one but I would much rather determine what the issue is with this one. If for no other reason than to learn and satisfy curiosity.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

I wish I could be of more help, but without having it in front of me there isn't much I can do, and there isn't a lot you can do unless you have a background in electronics.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 lnd3939

lnd3939
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

The only thing that I can think to add is that the severity of the red lines increase and decrease over time and after one restart they even went away for a few minutes. I would have thought that there would have been a limited number of things that would cause the described behavior but I guess you are right and a background in electronics is needed. 

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Here are some things to try.

Is that the one without an HDMI port? Are you using the DVI-D or the D-Sub port? Does it happen if you use either one?

Also try a different cable.

If it is the one with HDMI (I think there is a newer one with HDMI but not sure), try that and if it happens with an HDMI cable, turn on the computer first then wait a moment and turn on the monitor.

Hope this helps

James

#9 lnd3939

lnd3939
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Correct, it does not have an HDMI port. I am using the DVI-D port. I cannot try the D-Sub port because my computer only has DVI-D connectors.

I do not have a second cable but I could look into trying that although it may be a week or so before I can do that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#10 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

I think trying the "old" monitor narrowed down your issue...

Edited by jburd1800, 09 March 2013 - 09:02 PM.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#11 lnd3939

lnd3939
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

I would have thought that too but really all that did was say that the computer does not have the same issue with all monitors. Since the same cable was used I think it does lean towards ruling out the cable as a possible culprit.

Until I can test this monitor on another computer we are still left with 2 main possible causes of this issue. Either there is a problem with this monitor and this computer working together or the monitor just happened to develop an issue at the same time that it was attached to a new computer.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I would have thought that too but really all that did was say that the computer does not have the same issue with all monitors.

Sorry, I can't agree with that.  The computer is working, the other monitor proved this.  Because we now know that the computer is working properly and the old monitor is working it's pretty obvious that there is a problem with the new monitor.  I believe trying it on another computer will substantiate this.

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hi

To elaborate on my previous post.

I was missing some important information when I posted, namely, how the monitor was being connected.

I still believe the cabling may be an issue because...

1. Red lines are a known issue with DVI-D and refresh rate compatability

2. The graphics card mentioned has a Dual Link DVI-I output

3. The monitor has a Single Link DVI-D input

4. "When the adapter was uninstalled the lines went away but returned after reinstalled." which affects the output to the Dual Link DVI-I port.

It is backwards compatible but it sounds like it may be trying to use a dual link capable refresh rate that the monitor may not be supporting.

A Dual Link DVI-I cable and an adapter that fits on the end of it that allows it to be connected to the D-Sub port on the monitor would probably fix it.

Of course, I may be wrong but I don't believe having another monitor working makes a difference because the other monitor probably had a different input than the problematic one even though it may look similar. The main point being that it is often possible to find another cable on another device or from a friend and test this for free before ditching the monitor. Also, that graphics card is often sold with a D-Sub adapter.

James

#14 lnd3939

lnd3939
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I know that it has been some time but I recently had a chance to work this issue again and I wanted to update the post in the hope that it may help someone else in the future, as well as thank everybody who helped, especially James Litten as he was on the correct tract in helping me resolve this issue.

After the last post I initially tried a Dual Link DVI-D cable but the problem remained. The solution that worked for me was to use a DVI-D to HDMI cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users