Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to reactivate programs saved in backup file

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peter555

peter555

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

I have an old computer with P4 and XP pro protected with Trend Micro.  the Trend Micro turned it self off and said it coud not run and needed to shut down.  I took the PC to the shop that built it for me and much to my dissapointment they saved all the files to a subdirectory and reformatted the hard drive.  then reintalled the windows xp pro and office 07 pro  and the trend micro.  the rest of the programs are in an old data folder.  I can see the directory where the navigation program is at and I tried to run it from there but it won't.  then I copied the directory to the current program files with the same results.  I have the original installation disk but I am afraid I will lose all the updates.  Is there a way to reactivate the program?  I also intend to buy a new PC and transfer the nav programs to the new pc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Is it a sub-directory or did they create another partition for it? 

If reformatted the hdd it would have effectively wiped out all of the files that were there, unless it had another partition which wasn't reformatted.

You can find this out by looking in Disk Management, it will show any partitions that you have.  Right click on My Computer> Manage> Disk Management.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 peter555

peter555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

there are no partitions.  all the old files are in a subdirectory named OLDDATA2.  In there is the file with all the files for the program. so how do I restore that program.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Try taking ownership of the file.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users