Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - Random new users appearing on login screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pudn-UK

pudn-UK

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

I regularly need to clean infections from my (old and new) customers machines, but I got a call from a regular customer about a problem on her laptop.  I have not yet seen her machine but am due to see her this morning.

She has a 3 year old Windows 7 machine on which I recently changed the Internet Security software ( I am a Reseller for Eset.  The machine formerly had McAfee).

The machine only uses one login name as there is no-one else in the house who uses the machine.

Yesterday she called to say that there were two new usernames on the login screen made up of random letters and numbers.  I know she would not have created these users herself.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Is there a cause other than malware infection?  How to clean up?

As mentioned I will be going to see the machine in about an hour and may well have more detail then.  But any guidance before that would be grately appreciated.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Spy_64

Spy_64

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

I too am having this same issue. My client is running ESET and she had two random accounts pop up out of the blue on her machine with random characters for the account names. I have gone through my standard steps to clean and tune up the machine and I deleted the accounts as they appear to have had no data of interest stored in them and acted like they were preforming first logon tasks when entering them.  The part that is really strange, after a reboot or two, one of the two accounts re appears, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why or what the source of this symptom is. It appears to be doing no harm beyond irritating me, but I would like it to stop and I cannot find any infections or solution.

#3 noname1212

noname1212

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

I am having exactly the same issue as well. Am also using ESET smart security.

the two user accounts that pop up (unexpectedly)

- aflrhkqai

- fxwnxpgabgjc

#4 HolmPC

HolmPC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

Has anyone found an answer ti this question? I am also an ESET reseller and have had reports from clients that a new (Standard) user is being created in Windows 7 with a random character name. 

I have had no reports from ESET that this is supposed to happen, and it doesn't seem to happen in every case. I am running ESET myself on a number of machines and have not seen a new user created myself.

Matt

HolmPC

#5 frane.53nja

frane.53nja

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

the same thing is going on with my computer... i'm also using eset smart security...  help please!!

Edited by frane.53nja, 12 October 2013 - 09:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users