Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TP-Link TL-WA5210G Networking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ihearyou

ihearyou

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

Hi All,

I am thinking about networking two houses together so House B can access House A's files which are on a NAS.

I have configured these devices before though i am wanting to know the following – At both locations there is internet access. How can i route house A to use House A internet and House B to use House B's internet. I mainly want it just for the linking of files from House A's NAS.

I know these things are usually used to link Premises A to Premises B which in that case one of the Premises does not currently have an internet connection.

I have also included a quick image topology of the two networks:
Network_zps21daef1f.jpg

I am thinking about putting in a Endian Firewall with 2 Nics at Premises A. Nic 1 will be where Premises B connects into. Nic 2 will be the Internal Network of Premises A. This way i can route the traffic.

Does anyone else have an easier way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Two firewalls, one at each location using IPSEC to securely connect the two networks? That might be a bit expensive if you need to replace with firewalls that support IPSEC, can you not possibly set up something like DropBox or SkyDrive etc?

Edited by dirtdog900, 24 February 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#3 subhuman

subhuman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Does anyone else have an easier way to do this?

I assume since you're not sharing internet connections, the point of linking is so that Premise B can access the NAS at Premise A.

The easiest way I can see, would be to put both Premise A and premise B on the same local subnet.  This will eliminate the need for multiple static routes your current setup requires.

There is, of course, an inherent security risk any time you send local ("trusted") traffic over the air.  But that's occuring with either scenario.  WPA2/AES and MAC address filtering on both WA5210Gs should stop all but the most skilled/determined infitrators.

Edited by subhuman, 27 February 2013 - 02:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users