Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual monitors and enabling the onboard graphics, possibilities?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Voilaviolet

Voilaviolet

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

I have a gateway desktop (windows Xp media center 2005). It runs very smooth, I only have a few work programs on it. A dual monitor setup would make life soooo much easier.
I can only ever get one monitor to work at a time!

I show the radon x300 as the video card I'm guessing,
There is an option for a second monitor on the drop down, but, the only other place to plugin the monitor is the upper blue port (the onboard graphics, I believe)
Is there a way to enable that port? So I can extend my desktop?
I've tried my Tv, it works on its own, the original monitor, and the second monitor I bought, all work n their own, but not together,
I thought it would be really easy......
Here is a pic of the back

i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/Voila-Violet/8d0199c28145e54c31b4cafdc6cbb3b7.jpg

The setting for the second monitor is there, I have fiddled with it so many times, but nothing,
Only the monitor that is plugged into the bottom ( video card I'm guessing)

What am I missing?
Is there a driver that needs to be updated?
I tried to update the x300 driver, I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right, but well see...,

Do I need some sort of adapter? ( if so, is it under $20).

I could do it out if I had a bit of instruction. Any other info u need I will post , so keep an eye on this question .

Sooooo much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Voilaviolet

Voilaviolet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Here is a screen shot of when I try to set it up...

Attached Files

#3 Voilaviolet

Voilaviolet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

And... One more shot of the back of the pc

Attached Files

Edited by Voilaviolet, 24 February 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#4 Voilaviolet

Voilaviolet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

Grrrrr this is frustrating .... I accidentally deleted ATI.... I was trying to get into the ATI settings, I couldn't find it,
I thought I downloaded the new driver, so I deleted the old...
For some reason I cannot get the new one to unzip? Itwon't give me the option.

I restarted it to find the display all weird.... And no more Internet connection! It's connected by Ethernet.
Help! Lol. ;)

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Your second greyed out monitor would be s-video port next to the vga cable... if your tv accepts an S-video input you may be able to run that.
video_zpsdfb5a25c.jpg
Also you may get converters cables/boxes - svideo to composite; svideo to RGB; svideo to vga
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4722&seq=1&format=2

Thank you for the attached pictures it makes it much easier to diagnose your problems.

Very few motherboards will enable both the onboard vga (the one on top in your case) and dedicated graphics card (the one on bottom).  You may use one or the other, but not both.

Also you could get a different video card that has two vga ports on back.

Let me know if your internet connection and video are still bad and we can address that.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 24 February 2013 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users