Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashing on startup even after factory settings restore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Syracuseball

Syracuseball

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hi,

My Dell Inspiron N7110 keeps crashing on startup.  I briefly see a blue screen and receive the error "Stop 0x0000007B". I tried to run startup repair but it says it could not fix the problem.  Here are the details:

Problem Event Name:  StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: 21200571

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06: 5

Problem Signature 07: FailureDuringSetup

OS Version:                 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:                    1033

I believe it is most likely related to a virus but don't know how to go about fixing it.  I tried restoring to factory settings using a recovery partition but the error persists.  I do not have a windows 7 recover dvd.  Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2013 - 07:14 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

You might take a look at a decent guide to troubleshooting at http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/stop0x0000007b.htm .

<<I believe it is most likely related to a virus but don't know how to go about fixing it.>>

Why do you state this?

How did you get the details...if you cannot see the content of the blue screen error message?

What led to your attempt to restore to factory defaults, using the Dell mechanism for such?

Have you tried to boot into safe mode?

Can you get into the BIOS and check the boot order?

Have you tried to run the Dell Diagnostics package?

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#3 Syracuseball

Syracuseball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

It is my parents' laptop and they were using it to watch tv episodes and nfl games online.  The sites they used had a ton of popups and I'm pretty sure they must have downloaded some sort of virus or malware because the computer started crashing a lot shortly after this.

There is an option to not automatically restart on crash so I was able to view the blue screen long enough to write down all of the info.

They didn't have many files or programs installed, basically used it for web browsing.  So I thought restoring to factory settings would be good so they could start clean.

I cannot get into safemode.

Yes, I can get to the BIOS and boot order.

I ran the Dell diagnostics and it did not discover any problems. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users