Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only files deleted by Combofix?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Coldblackice

Coldblackice

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

In the Combofix log, are the only files deleted by Combofix listed in the "Other Deletions" section? And by "Other", I'm assuming this means files other than the recycle bin, temporary, and temporary internet files that it deletes?

I'm a well-versed computer user, but was new/unaware as to Combofix, when I recommended to someone that they remedy a malware problem on their machine by grabbing and running the tools in the Bleeping Computer Security Tools section. Unfortunately, the guide(s) to reverse the process of Combofix have been ineffective -- instead, merely running Combofix again.

And so I'm manually dissecting what exactly Combofix deleted on his machine. I understand the particulars are kept under wraps to avoid circumvention, but I think it's fair that it's at least divulged what a tool deletes from one's computer (and would have been nice if it had had a bit more blatant of a heads-up in-program).

I can see and understand the "Other Deletions" section. I'm just wondering if "Other" means files other than the standard wipe of recycle bin/temp/temp internet. And are there other sections I should look at and cross-reference for deletions (that weren't restored), such as registry? The "Orphans Removed" section apparently didn't remove the registry keys mentioned.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Hello and Welcome -

Please Fully Read ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

The tool is designed to be used by experts who can spend 6 months learning when and why and how to use this tool -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users