Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access my secure work website

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LBM

LBM

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have an HP, p6710f, AMD Athlon II X4 640 processor with Windows 7 Home Premium on my desktop, as well as on my HP laptop. I am a medical transcriptionist, so I access a secure website to work. Suddenly my desktop will not access the site, but my laptop will. Tech support from my company did a remote access on my computer and could not figure anything out. I took it to a computer shop, they removed a virus (which they said was nothing major), and were able to access the website. I got my computer back but it still will not access the website. I made sure my modem/router firmware is up to date, but the laptop uses that as well. The interesting thing is my computer will not ping the website I work on, nor will the laptop, but yet the laptop connects and works but the desktop will not. Any ideas why this would happen or what could have changed on my desktop? Oh I will say that I restored my desktop, as did tech support, to a week earlier when it was working fine, and that did not help either. My work tech support guy is banging his head against the wall on this, and I can't go buy another computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TaxPro

TaxPro

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'll offer a few suggestions, or ideas...

Is your desktop PC connecting to your router wirelessly, or with an ethernet cable? What about the laptop? If the mode of connection is different, that may be part of what is causing the problem.

Did you install any new software on the desktop just before it stopped working?

Does the desktop PC have different antivirus software than the laptop?

If I had to lay money on it, I'd bet it has something to do with firewall settings--either on your PC or on the server side.

Are they using MAC addressing to control which computers are allowed to access the network?

BMK

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

<<...and were able to access the website>>

If that's true...what changed or could have changed...between the time the system was at the shop...and the time you tried from home?

Assuming that the same wireless router is used at home...and the settings used by the two computers are the same...that doesn't leave much room for speculation, IMO.

Louis

#4 LBM

LBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

My desktop is connecting via ethernet, however I've connected via the router and that doesn't make a difference either. The laptop is connected via the router.

The only thing I did before was update Adobe Flash Player. But myself and IT restored my computer to a week earlier when we knew it worked fine, and that didn't change it either.

Both laptop and desktop are running McAfee, and IT completely removed McAfee from the desktop to no avail, so they loaded it back on.

IT changed all the firewall settings on Windows as well as McAfee, nothing there either.

Nothing changed from the time the computer was being transfered from the repair back to my house.

I'm not entirely sure if my company is using MAC addressing or not. I just know that it is encrypted for security reason due to the sensitive nature of information being exchanged. I know it requires 128 bit encryption, but that is about all I know.

Thanks again for your helpful input, and anything else you can think of is greatly appreciated.

Edited by LBM, 24 February 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#5 TaxPro

TaxPro

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Can your laptop connect on a different wi-fi network? Not a Starbuck's or a public library, 'cause those networks usually aren't secure. Try it at at the home of a friend who has a wireless router configured with WPA encryption.

Ask your IT guy if the connection requires a static IP address. If so, it may be configured properly for the laptop, but not for the desktop.

If you didn't change anything, then something probably changed on the server side.

I'll bet they're using a Cisco VPN...

But there could be something on your desktop, that is escaping detection, that is blocking the connection.

What is the error message that you get? Page cannot be displayed? Or something else?

What browser are you using? What version? Do both computers have the same version of the same browser? Do they both have the same default browser?

Does one computer have another browser installed, even if you aren't using it?

LBM wrote:

The only thing I did before was update Adobe Flash Player.

That's like saying, "the only thing I did was detonate the bomb." LOL

Adobe Flash Player offers the "Free! McAfee Security Scan Plus" during installation. If you don't want it, you have to uncheck a box.

System restore would not necessarily remove that program.

Uninstalling and re-installing McAfee Antivirus would not necessarily remove it, either.

That kind of unwanted freeware garbage has a way of hiding. It may not even show up in the "uninstall a program" list in the Control Panel. You might have to find it under "All Programs," and uninstall it from there.

That's probably not the cause, but it's definitely worth a look.

If the problem is not on the server side, then there is something on your desktop, that is different from your laptop, that you have not identified.

Does the desktop have a toolbar in the browser that is not there on the laptop?

I'm not kidding... With high security remote access platforms, these things really can make a difference.

You oughta run HijackThis on both computers, and post the logs so we can compare them.

BMK

Edited by TaxPro, 24 February 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#6 TaxPro

TaxPro

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Also, you should compare all the browser settings on each PC. Options like popup blockers, private browsing, and stored passwords could have an impact.

On both PCs, are you logged into Windows as an administrator?

How are you getting to the website on each PC?

I sure hope your IT guy cleared the cookies and cache, and made sure that you are using a valid URL.

Are you going to the website by using a favorite or bookmark?

You have a tough case. Sometimes we throw s**t on the wall and see if it sticks LOL

Did the guy at the repair shop use a different browser when they successfully connected? Was he logged into Windows under a different username?

BMK

#7 LBM

LBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Well all of a sudden this morning my desktop connected to the work platform. Why I don't know. The IT guy says that the browser has nothing to do with it, as I access the work site through its own icon or something. Sorry not sure exactly. I do not go through IE9 to get it though.

I did take my IE9 on the desktop back to IE8 (as that is what the laptop has and it works). Now it will not download IE9 back. LOL.

Anyway IT has no idea why my desktop is working now or why it didn't, and they pretty much washed their hands of it, telling me they cannot do anything else to take it back to the computer shop if it does not work. This is a new computer, and it is very frustrating, especially when I'm not very computer savvy.

I know IT cleared the cache and cookies. I did not install the McAfee Security Scan Plus with Adode, because I made sure to uncheck that. I do believe the work platform requires a static IP address.

I'm not sure I can run Hijack this and post the logs, as that may be out of line for security protocol for the work I do???? I don't really know. Anyway it is working right now so that is good. Thanks for all your help.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

<<You oughta run HijackThis on both computers, and post the logs so we can compare them.>>

Not a good suggestion, I should have caught this before now :).

See the main page of this forum for "No DDS, OTL, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs should be posted in this forum.   Posted by Grinler" . 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-dds-otl-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/

If such logs are requested/posted, they are moved immediately to the Malware Removal Logs forum...the given site for posting such here at BC.

To the OP, glad you seem to have resolved it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users