Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difficulties Updating Intel HD Graphics Display Adapter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Hi

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on an HP Pavilion dm4 laptop with an i5 core.

I recently stumbled upon a photo of a blue screen (Stop: 0x00000116; igdkmd64.sys) I encountered while playing a resource-intensive game.
I never cared about it, because I don't play the game often. But I thought today that I'd at least make sure my Display Adapter driver is updated.

igdkmd64.sys is the second file listed when I view Driver Details for the Intel HD Graphics (Display Adapter) in Device Manager, so I know I'm looking at the right thing.
I found this result on Intel's website. It seemed promising. But no matter what method of installation I use, it always fails or Windows tells me that I already have the most current version. However, the installed version of igdkmd64.sys is version 8.15.10.2189; the files I downloaded include version 8.15.10.2827. So it seems like Windows is lying to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-r0d3r1ck

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2013 - 03:55 PM.
Moved from Audio/Video to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TaxPro

TaxPro

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I recently ran into something very similar...

My environment was Win 7 Pro x64 on an HP Compaq 4000 desktop.

I also had difficulty updating drivers for the Intel graphics card. I'm not in front of that machine right now, but I'm pretty sure the version numbers were the same as what you are seeing.

I don't have a real answer, but my experience may help you.

My PC appeared to be rebooting itself randomly, and then displaying the message that "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown." I finally figured out that it wasn't random. It only happened when I was away from the PC... for a certain period of time.

The screensaver, which was set to 15 minutes, was causing the PC to blue screen and reboot.

It was a standard Win 7 screensaver--Mystify. No tweaks or hacks. When I shut off the screensaver, or changed it to a solid color, the problem went away.

I had just re-installed the OS, and I had added a VGA-USB adapter in order to add a second monitor. i thought maybe the drivers for the adapter had something to do with the problem.

After searching for information, I finally stumbled across something that pointed me in the right direction.

I had Windows Aero turned off.

Once I turned it back on, the screensaver worked just fine, and no more BSOD.

I still don't fully understand it. I can only hypothesize that the graphics card, in combination with the drivers and other baggage associated with the VGA-USB adapter, simply can't run the screensaver unless Aero is activated.

The dual display is working as expected, but certain things are still not quite right. I'm still investigating.

BMK

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Well TaxPro, you didn't have a concrete answer, but you certainly seem to have inspired a solution.
I disabled Aero (went into Windows Basic theme) and reattempted a manual installation of the driver.
Now, when I look in device manager, I see 8.15.10.2827.
Since the installation, I have rebooted a couple times successfully and switched back to Aero.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users