Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBDownloader Search redirect when Google Chrome syncs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chiggen

Chiggen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hello,

I have the same issue as this thread below:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/486085/cant-stop-fbdownloader-redirecting-search-and-homepage/

I followed the process and was able to successfully open browsers without any redirect upon reboot.

Uninstalled the fbdownloader program. Ran CCleaner. Even uninstalled Firefox and Google Chrome at one point. I also tried several attempts of system restore but every time I try, the system tells me the restore failed.

I ran malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, Mini Toolbox, FSS, AdwCleaner, JRT, etc. Even went to my regedit to delete start page file from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

This process worked when I had just Internet Explorer and Google Chrome (not logged in).

However, the problem came back where all my browsers redirect to the fbdownloader search when I sign into my google chrome account that syncs my preferences.

Which leads me to think that there's something probably stored locally on my computer that triggers when I sign into chrome, but I clearly cannot find it. 

Some background info: I think I might have allowed this fbdownloader to install into my computer when I was installing another software called jdownloader (by Softronic) onto my computer. I was using Google Chrome to do this so maybe there's something still lingering there? I have uninstalled jdownloader as well as fbdownloader, previously mentioned, and cleared all .exe applications from my downloads folder relating to that event.

I'm at my wit's end trying to get rid of this malware. I would appreciate guidance.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Read the guide here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

and create a topic here with logs