Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please bear with me!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I would like a tablet that I can use around the house and whilst on holiday.I have done a lot of reading but am left quite confused.Please, are you able, and willing, to advise me?

I would like a tablet with 32GB and which has 3G. The NEXUS 7 seems to be a possibility but, and here my ignorance shows badly, so please, be kind if you do post a reply as I am old enough to be your great grandmother! I do not want a smartphone. I merely wish to surf, access e-Bay, Amazon, Facebook, and send e-mail. I do not play games, apart from one or two word games. I do not listen to music.

I have had a PC since 1998 so I am quite used to Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9.It's the newer technology which foxes me as there is such a plethora of tablets around.

I would like to pay under £250. around $380.

Any advice you can offer would be gratefully received and I say "Thank you" in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

A 3G tablet would have to be sold via a carrier to use their wireless network, like a smartphone. At least thats how it works here in the 'colonies'. I'm not sure how it's done in other countries. Most tablets here use WiFi either connected to free WiFi at the library for example, or a home network WiFi connection. Or anywhere else that offers customers free WiFi service. If you already have a smartphone that can double as a Hotspot you can use it that way as well.

EDIT: I just did a google search for "3G tablets in UK" and this was one of several links: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/tablets/GT-P1000CWAXEU

So it appears you can use 3G there in a different way than we do here for the most part. Hopefully someone with more UK 3G knowledge can add some more insights.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 wantei

wantei

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Try looking at Ainol tablets. They run on android and are very budget friendly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users