Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good free keylogger/screen capture program?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Does anyone know of any? So far I have found SpyScreen 3.5 which doesnt work, and a couple others from Cnet, Tucows, which also dont work (and want to install toolbars etc.). I know free is free, but if anyone can recommend a good one that would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi,

I don`t think anybody here would like Discussing about keyloggers.......

This forum is infact helps people identify such software so that they can remove it from the PC not install it......

Curious but why do you need a Keylogger ?(Other than Stealing info.)

Midou

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Curious but why do you need a Keylogger ?(Other than Stealing info.)

Several years ago I ran a keylogger on one of my machines. Sometimes this machine would BSOD and I would loose work. So my idea was to use the keylogger to recover everything I typed. But it was'nt really helpful, because of editing.

Penetration testers also use keyloggers.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

oh Never new keyloggers had this use too........

thanks for the info

Midou

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

There are also risks associated with it. For example, all the passwords you type are captured too. So you need to restrict access to the log file.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 Balala

Balala

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

There are also risks associated with it. For example, all the passwords you type are captured too. So you need to restrict access to the log file.

Yes, keylogger can not only capture screenshots, but also can record all keystrokes typed on the keyboard.

#7 Jack100

Jack100

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

I use Spyrix Free Keylogger .Monitor your computer activities through a secured web account by logging in from any computer remotely. This means you can monitor your computer without having physical access to it.

Edited by Jack100, 19 June 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

My wife and I have been discussing ( she talks I listen mostly) placing a key logger on my daughters pc, She's at that age now.  I am not strictly against the idea but my wife insists.

Edit.

Normally I do not consider most PC tools good or evil. Just quite clever bits of code,  Its what use people put them to.

I know a few people  who use what you would consider malware to catch some nasty people and put them away for a long time daily.

They will use worms trojans social engeneering keyloggers you name it to penetrate a sex offenders PC , And I support them 100%. They all know about encrypted email and stuff.

Edited by NickAu1, 20 June 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

It isn't free, but I can recommend Spector Soft's products.  I will tell you that this is really not worth the time or effort.  If it is a concern the child should have their machine in a public place, not their bedroom.  If your child finds this installed they will feel betrayed.  I highly recommend that if you do install such software that you let them know that what they are doing is being monitored.  To tell you the truth just telling them that may be enough.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

Keylogging, surveillance and monitoring programs can have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user, business IT tech or administrator has knowingly installed them. It's the misuse of a keylogger (and similar software tools) that makes it's action malicious rather than the keylogger itself.

Keep in mind that many legitimate keylogging programs are often detected by anti-virus or anti-malware scanners as a "Risk Tool" or a "threat" due to its functionality, behavior and potential misuse by others. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 coralys

coralys

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:57 AM

Hi NickAu1,

can fully understand your wife as I am in the same situation.Teens with internet are like drunk reckless drivers, they are positive no harm can come to them. I am looking for a way to keep track of the messages, photos, videos that my daughter exchanges through facebook, messager etc, the videos and photos she sees and sends.

I am thinking of a keylogger because I want to be able to access her accounts from my computer  and I am worried about the antivirus. I am willing to have a paid version but I am looking for something user-friendly since I am not really computer literate.  I don’t know if it makes a difference but we go in through a user account since we no longer have the password for the administrator’s account. I lost it. Saw that there is a way of recuperating it but so far it has made no difference to us so we have left it at that.

I saw that Spyrix has different products, anybody know them? Diffrence between their Facebook one and the other home use?

Have had a look at Spector and it is beyond me, couldn't possibly beging to manage it.

Something simpler?

thank you

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Tools for parents who want to know what web sites kids are using:Tools for parents who want to know what instant messengers kids are using, see who your kids are chatting with on MySpace and what pages they are looking at:Note: Not all parental tools are free but some parents find them worth the price so I included them in case you want to pursue that avenue.

#13 coralys

coralys

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

thank you but that is not really what I need. Myspace is not used by children anymore. And I need to see content. But I think I have found what I need, there is a Net Nanny option for social network which seems to do the trick.I can understand everybody here here getting very upset about a keylogger, I joined beacuse I got a virus I could not get rid of. However when you find your teen daughter chating with someone more than twice her age things take a different perspective.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Net Nanny is reputable and one of several others I have on my list of Parental Tools to restrict access to the Internet and monitor child activity:. I thought I included it with the above but didn't highlight that part when I copied and pasted my last reply.

As a parent myself I understand where you are coming from so I wish you good luck.

#15 coralys

coralys

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

Hello,

Just to say that Net nanny is probably good for young children but in my case with a teenager it proved a disaster. I am going to check this one you have posted. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users