Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Iconia Tab Constantly Freezing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 i.hate.open.cloud

i.hate.open.cloud

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hello. A few days ago, I got a brand new Acer Iconia W500 tablet running Windows 7 Home (32-bit), which is frequently freezing on me. In the process of configuring the computer for optimal use, I uninstalled several of the Acer junk programs that the machine came with and downloaded & installed Java, Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, and Ad-Aware, as well as attempting to run Windows Update. This is when the tablet started freezing up. I uninstalled Ad-Aware to free up resources, but that did not improve anything.

Anytime I try to open more that one tab or window in Internet Explorer (8), it is guaranteed to become non-responsive and can only be closed via the task manager, after which IE will continue to freeze until the computer is restarted. It should be noted that when IE is frozen and the processes are listed, there is always one more iexplore.exe process than is actually running (if opening a second tab made it lock up, there will be three IE processes listed). Windows Explorer also occasionally becomes non-responsive. When restarting or shutting down the tablet after a lock-up, it will usually freeze while shutting down, requiring a hard restart.

Windows Update initially claimed it downloaded 58 updates successfully, but when I chose to install them, it made no progress. Now when I try to run WU, it says that it’s checking for updates, indefinitely.

The computer runs fine when I start it in Safe Mode (w/ Networking), so it seems like something is eating up the system resources, but I do not know enough to figure out what. During the initial round of removing the bloatware, I did not remove anything that could have possibly been important (I do not mess with anything that I do not know the function of), just junk for social media and the like. There are still programs that I suspect can be safely removed, but I do not want to take a risk on.

Any advice?

Also, is there any way to get Do Not Track Me Plus to run on a tablet?

Thank you for your time.

-James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 i.hate.open.cloud

i.hate.open.cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

Anyone got any ideas?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:17 AM

A few days ago, I got a brand new Acer Iconia W500 tablet running Windows 7 Home (32-bit),

Hello -

Yes I do have a first idea that you will not like - Take it back .............. was there a warranty ??
Internet Explorer 8 is not suited for Windows7 , please update to I.E.9
See the M/soft site HERE and select language etc -

Have you ever had a good internet connection, or is it always bad. Please contact your Internet Provider -

Ignore Do Not Track Me Plus as it is a bit useless FAQs About Do Not Track Plus -
Install a decent Free Antivirus for now, and then contact your retailer or whoever sold the computer to you -

Thank You -

#4 i.hate.open.cloud

i.hate.open.cloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Hello noknojon, thank you for your reply.

Returning isn't an option, unfortunately; online sale from an individual, no returns.

IE 8 was the out-of-the-box default, and since it's never given me trouble on Windows 7 before, it didn't seem necessary to tamper with it. It was working fine initally, so I'm somewhat vexed as to what went wrong.

The problems occur regardless of the connection strength, which is usually good.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi James,

I have no wish to start a war with Noknojon, but I am running Win 7 and IE8 works fine for me, although it isn't my default browser and having one more IE process running in Task Manager than you expect seems to be normal.

It sounds to me more like a conflict somewhere. Have you checked Device Manager to see if there are any problems there ?  To do this, right click on the computer symbol on your desktop ( if you don't have one, then 'Start / Computer' then right click on 'Computer' in the left hand column ) then click on 'Properties' and you will find 'Device Manager' in the top left corner of the panel that opens. Click on this and see if you have any yellow warning symbols against any of the devices on your computer. If there are, take it from there. If you can't sort it, come back.

I do not want to seem unsympathetic, but as my old Auntie always said " Experience is better bought than taught !", usually accompanied by a clip around the ear. Noknojon is right about taking it back, but as you can't . . . Next time, try either your local friendly dealer or an online dealer, don't buy private without the opportunity to check it first.

All the best,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users