Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacement AC Adapter Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.WalkItOff

Dr.WalkItOff

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Hello,

I have been trying over the past week and a half to find a replacement AC Adapter for my Sager Np5165 Laptop.  The original charger that was shipped with the laptop had the following specifications:

Model #: PA-1131-07

Input: 100-240V, 2.15A, 50-60Hz

Output: 19V, 6.3A

I bought a replacement that seemed identical but ended up having a higher voltage, and noticed that my laptop was charging much slower when using it and that the laptop would sporadically stop recognizing the charger..  I realized that this might harm my battery and stopped using it.

The current replacement I have has the following specifications:

Model #: PA-1131-07

Input: 100-240V, 2.15A 50-60Hz

Output: 19V, 7.1A

I'm now trying to find another replacement AC Adapter, and when looking for my specific laptop's model number found this product that lists my laptop name/number as being compatible:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048HL7V2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Input: 100-240V 50/60Hz worldwide power compatible

Output Volts: 20.00V

Output Wattage: up to 120W maximum

Output Current: up to 6.00A maximum

Connector: Barrel, Center +

My question is, will this AC adapter work as the amazon product title suggests or will it damage my laptop?  Also, did the hour or so I used this ac adapter potentially damage my machine?

Thank you so much for your time!

Edited by Dr.WalkItOff, 23 February 2013 - 12:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lti

lti

• Members
  • 595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

I wouldn't trust an AC adapter from Amazon or eBay.

It is strange that the replacement AC adapter is the same model number, but it can supply more current. The voltage is the same. Using it shouldn't cause any problems.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

The higher current rating isn't anything to worry about, neither is purchasing it from Amazon.  eBay... that's another story as far as I'm concerned.

That's about the cheapest price I found for the power supply which is new.  I did find a used one for $15.99...  Liteon Pa‑1131‑07 19v 7.1a Ac Adapter For Gateway Zx4300‑01e All‑in‑o

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users