Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

motherboard diagnosis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnnyjleal

johnnyjleal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

OK, recently my monitor port broke off my motherboard it doesn't look like it damaged the board at all, but I bought a new graphics card,.500Watt power supply and a new cmos battery, and switched monitor and still I get no signal. When I turn it on everything sounds like it's working fine, except my USB keyboard isn't turning on at all. I have a hp pavilion a6600z if any one can help out in any way that would be awesome, oh yeah the graphics card I bought is a radeon HD 5450

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2013 - 08:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnnyjleal

johnnyjleal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

One more thing can I take out hdd and put it on another computer and add drivers or change BIOS settings?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Topic moved to Internal Hardware from Win 7 forum.

<<... can I take out hdd and put it on another computer and add drivers or change BIOS settings?>>

If you are asking inf you can take a hard drive with Windows installed...and use it in another system with no expectation of problems with the Windows install from a different computer...the answer is "no", unless there is an exact match of the components installed in each system.

The drivers and settings...and activation data...will not match.  A clean install of Windows with attendant appropriate license would be the way to go.

Louis

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hi Johnny,

You say "The monitor port broke off my motherboard". I strongly suspect that your motherboard is damaged, especially as you say that your USB keyboard isn't working. The USB ports on the motherboard are mounted next to the monitor port, and it would be reasonable to expect that if there is damage in this area, the USB ports would be affected. If you have other USB ports, perhaps front panel ones, plug your keyboard in there and see if it works.

Motherboard damage is very difficult to spot - you have very fine tracks runnig very close together with the added possibility of damaged solder joints. Probably the only answer is a new motherboard. If you can still source one that is basically the same model you may be able to get away without having to buy a CPU as well.

Sorry I can't be more positive,

Chris Cosgrove

#5 johnnyjleal

johnnyjleal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

I actually tested the USB ports with a different device, and the device charged up, I wonder if when I took the cmos battery out it messed with the keyboard some how, Cuzco I know that when I first got my computer the keyboard didn't work until I installed drivers on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users