Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Shortcuts Redirect to Homepage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 parallax1978

parallax1978

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hello all.

I have a user who has a unique problem. Any webpage shortcut she creates on her desktop, whether to a page on the company intranet, or a webpage take her instead to her homepage.  No idea how long it has been going on.

We have some sharted web apps on our servers that have complicated addresses so I like the users to have shortcuts to them... storing them as favorites works, but I would still like to find a resolution to the issue at hand.

It is an XP Pro machine fully updated. I appreciate your help.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 February 2013 - 06:06 PM.
moved from Windows 95/98/ME

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

If its a XP Pro machine I wonder why the mods have moved this thread in here?

Ignore me they still have the link in Win9x/ME.

If every web link saved takes it to instead to her homepage I would do a full Malwarebytes scan if I were you.

Edited by Keithuk, 24 February 2013 - 11:05 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

I agree about malwarebytes...  redirecting pages of any kind typically means something bad is going on.  If the homepage she uses is some websearch type thing, that IS the problem.  There are some sites/toolbars, etc...  that look handy but totally hijack your browser.  It could be something of that nature, and I would explore that first. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users