Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected? Computer won't start long enough to get into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BarbaraJ

BarbaraJ

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hi, Suddenly today our PC shut down spontaneously.  I can turn it on and sometimes get to the safe mode screen, but when I hit enter to get safe mode, the computer once again shuts down.  If I immediately try to restart, the computer won't even get to the first page without shutting down.  What to do?

thanks!  Barbara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Is Safe Mode with Networking any better? What is your Operating system? Did you notice if you had any malware pop up or you were removing some before this happened.

Edited by boopme, 25 February 2013 - 02:45 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 BarbaraJ

BarbaraJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hi,  thanks for responding.  The computer won't stay on long enough for me to do anything.  It comes on, I get to the screen that tells me it didn't shut down properly and when I try to go to safe mode, it spontaneously shuts off.  I've also tried to just let it start normally and not in safe mode and it also shuts down then too.  We are using Windows 7.  This is not my main computer - my husband uses it exclusively so I was not using it when it shut down.  He said he was just doing his normal stuff.  A friend who works in IT suggested it might be a fried mother board or could be full of dust (although we do open and clean it periodically).  I tried to turn it on again today and it did the same thing. 

the system had a full scan about a week ago and nothing was showing up, we do all installs of any critical updates that windows sends.  I suspect it has just kicked the bucket as it is about 8 years old! 

If you have any suggestions on how to keep it on I'd appreciate it. I need one file off that computer :(

Barbara

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I moved this to WIn 7 to see if they can try anything first..

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

System manufacturer and model?

When did the problems begin, what were the circumstances?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users