Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clicking followed by freeze

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DrGreyhound

DrGreyhound

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some help/advice with an issue I'm having.

I bought a brand new Samsung RV520 laptop in November last year (Windows 7 Home Premium). In its first week of use I had 2 BSOD's which turned out to be a driver issue which I sorted. Installed a RAM upgrade and all was running well until about 6-7 weeks ago. I was browsing the internet when something internal, probably the HDD, started making a repetative clicking noise similar to, but not the same as "click of death" noises I've heard/seen online. Then everything froze so I could only shutdown the laptop by holding the power button down.
After a reboot all was well again except, strangely, when I opened up Firefox most of my customisation and add-on settings had been reset.

I decided to see how things went before I started contacting the place where I bought it.

It's been running very well, excellent, in fact, for the 6-7 weeks since this happened, until today when the same thing happened again: "click of death"-type noise, then laptop froze. Same thing happened with Firefox settings.
I'm running CrystalDiskInfo all the time and never had any warnings about the HDD. Can't find anything in the event viewer.

Needless to say, I backed up all my data.

Can anyone shed any light on this phenomenon? Are there any more details I can provide?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Clicking sounds are typically a sign of bad things to come for the hard drive.  Thus, I would make sure that you keep doing backups on a regular basis.

If it is in fact the hard drive (others might have some other thoughts), then I see basically two options:

1) Live with it until the drive actually fails.  If you go this route, then make sure you backup regularly.

2) Try to have the laptop serviced under warranty (I would think it would still be under warranty if you bought it last November).  Of course, if the problem is sporadic, then they might not find it and it could be a waste of time (i.e. time that you don't have the laptop while you have to ship it off to them).

2a) A variation on #2 is to just replace the drive yourself and not worry about the warranty.  It obviously costs you money, but might save you hassle. 

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Did you take a look at the pinned topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/ ?

In particular, there is this link in there: http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

#4 DrGreyhound

DrGreyhound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hi smax013

Thanks for your reply

If it is a faulty drive, I think I rather wait for it to die and replace it. There isn't that much difference in the price of a replacement HDD and the amount it would cost to ship the laptop off for servicing. And like you said, as the problem itself is sporadic, they might not find any fault as the machine runs perfectly apart from these two freezes.

Thanks for the links also. Just downloaded Seatools diagnostics, I'll see if that can tell me anything.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

If it is a faulty drive, I think I rather wait for it to die and replace it. There isn't that much difference in the price of a replacement HDD and the amount it would cost to ship the laptop off for servicing. And like you said, as the problem itself is sporadic, they might not find any fault as the machine runs perfectly apart from these two freezes.

Don't blame you at all. The idea of shipping electronic back for warranty work typically gives me heartburn.  It is usually a lot of hassle for nothing these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users