Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you exceed the memory in a single slot?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LadyMorella

LadyMorella

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I have a Dell Dimension E520. It has 1 GB of RAM and I have issues with things really slowing down when using Adobe products such as Dreamweaver and Photoshop Elements, especially when other windows are open as well. I was thinking that some RAM might help this machine out however I want to see how much before I go out and buy some. If it doesn't do much I'd rather save the money and wait for a new computer.  

The documentation says it can support:

533-MHz and 667-MHz dual DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM in the amounts of 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB non-ECC.

I have 2 sticks of memory laying around at home that is DDR2 1066 2GB each. If I remember correctly the speed isn't a big deal as the computer will just slow it down. However what about the size of the stick? If I put a 2GB stick in will it be ok? Will the computer just use the first GB and not have the ability to address the rest of it? Or will the computer not be able to use it at all? 

Is there any harm in trying this? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

It should not be able to use it at all since it is not a size that is supported.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/memory/f/FasterRAM.htm

I will note that sometimes computer manufacturers will list a lower "officially" supported RAM amount when you can actually use more.  Apple has done this at times.  Not sure about other manufacturers.

#3 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hmm, ok. That is what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking a possibility. The computer has to stay up so it wasn't worth the risk of taking it down if it wasn't going to work. I now remember though that I may have some more memory stashed at home, hopefully one of those will work. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users