Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating static network for small print co.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hey guys,

Im switching a friend of mine who owns a small reprographics company over from dynamic to static ip address' and ive encountered a very odd problem.

His ISP provided a small modem with 4 routing jacks that he supplements with a switch.

When trying to swtich to static IP, after selecting a "forever" lease on the drop down menu in the settings interface, and inputting the ip range desired, it saves and refreshes the router settings but then the lease changes to "1 week" after the page is updated and displayed.

Why would you recon that his router is changing the lease setting from forever to 1 week?

Its a Comcast provided router I do not have exact specs on the model router.

-drwmbt

edit:

also there is another issue that concerns me, he has a 4 port cable modem,

he takes one of those ports and attaches it to an 8 port switch,

then he uses the other 3 available ports on the modem for other devices.

Does this cause a conflict when trying to give a static ip address range?

Or will the modem interpret the switch plugged into its 1 port as 8 ports effectively giving a total of 11 available ports on the 4 port modem?

Edited by drwmbt, 22 February 2013 - 01:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Are you switching the internal machines to static IP's or the internet connection? You mentioned changing something on the router but I can't work out what you mean from your description.

The lease time is generally set from the server issuing the IP, that would override anything you set, but usually that isn't something you change yourself anyway. Could you perhaps show us a screenshot of what you are looking at?

#3 drwmbt

drwmbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Well, I guess I am running into issues @ where the internet connection meets the internal network setup. The Modem has an interface which tries to delegate router-type network settings, Im not sure if its specifiying ISP network settings or Internal "Router" network settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users