Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Image Recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HuyettFamily

HuyettFamily

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

I have a Dell XPS 17 laptop that has dual drives - c & d.  The c drive crashed and was replaced by dell.  We are now trying to do a system image recovery from the d drive.  We are following How to do a System Image Recovery in Window7 from seven forums.com    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/675-system-image-recovery.html

After Selecting the System Image from the D Drive (STEP TWO, # 5 and 6), the computer prompts to create a repair disk.  The only way to move forward is to create or not create the disk.  In either case, it then has you restart the machine, takes you through the process again....  Step 5/6....  Never gets to Step 7 to actually DO the System Recover! 

What am I missing.  We have been at this for over 2 weeks and any help would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

HI,

The only thing I can think of is that, hopefully, Dell designed the recovery drive against the possibility that the C: drive might be scrambled / formatted / replaced and it should be bootable. Have you tried setting your BIOS to boot from the D: drive ?  If you haven't, it might be worth a shot.

To do this you need to catch the computer at the BIOS screen, ie just after you have started it up. Usually, to get to the BIOS commands you press either the 'Delete' key or the F2 key a couple of times while the initial screen is showing. This will take you into the BIOS set-up. Using the Left - Right arrow keys move along to the heading 'Boot' and you should find that the existing sequence is :  1st device - CD/DVD; 2nd device - HDD 1, and it should also list your second 'D:' drive. Using the up / down arrow keys, select the D: drive and use whatever instructions are given in the panel on the right to move this D: drive into second place. Usually you do this with the + and - keys. Once you have this drive as second in the sequence, press the 'Escape' key to exit. You will be presented with some choices, choose the one that says 'Save changes and exit'. The computer will now restart itself, and, hopefully, try to boot from 'D:'.

When - or if - it does, you should come to a screen that says 'Repair'. Choose 'Advanced repair / recovery' and you should then be presented with options which will include re-installing from a recovery partition or drive. Choose 're-install', and it should go and re-install the 'C:' drive to the factory defaults.

If this works as outlined above, you will probably find a lot of unnecessary software has been installed, and you will have all your updates to do for everything from the original build date, plus re-installing all your own software. This is a bucket load of unwanted work, but, if you get this far, you will at least have a working computer !

If it doesn't work, and as I said, my only recent experience of doing this is on a Sony Vaio, then it is probably time to contact Dell and see what they have to say.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Are you inside windows (like is there start/windows button) when you trying to do this recovery?

If so then restart your computer
start tapping F8 right after the dell startup screen disappears to get to the safe mode options - select 'Repair your computer'
From there select your keyboard layout - then your user - and then from there 'system image recovery' - and select your backup/system image.
there should be no create repair disc at this point and the restore should start.

Alternative -
boot a windows repair disc - select your keyboard layout - then your user - and then from there 'system image recovery' - and select your backup/system image.

boot a windows 7 install disc - on first screen select Repair my computer -  then 'system image recovery' - and select your backup/system image.

Cleaner explantion of system image recovery here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/system-image-recovery-in-windows-7-8/

Edited by AngryRaisin, 24 February 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#4 HuyettFamily

HuyettFamily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

We tried to boot with the windows repair disc, but were not being successful.  We finally tried it with the Windows 7 CD and IT WORKED!  We were able to successfully do a System Image Recovery!!!!!

Thanks so much for the help guys!

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

Very cool - Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users