Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading CPU and MB.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BadBeat

BadBeat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Current System:

Asus P5B MB

2.1 Ghz AMD Athalon Dual Core

2 x 2gb DDR2 Ram

Geforce GTX 460

650W PSU

500gb HD XP/Vista64 dualboot

Long story short, my system has died, isn't posting and I'm pretty sure it's the MB, so I figured it's about time to upgrade the very old CPU and MB.

My budget is around £200-220 (though the cheaper the better, ofc. I'm not made of money ^_^ ), but I'm not quite sure what to go for.

A bit of looking around has given me the idea of AMD FX-6300 6 core for the processor, mainly due to the fairly cheap £110 price tag. As for a MB to go with it, the MSI 870A-G54 drew my eye at first, but the price is kinda on the high side and, tbh, I'm not really sure what to look for when it comes to motherboards. There seems to be a whole host of AM3+ MBs of varying prices

I did initially look at the Core i5 3570k, btw as I've heard a lot of good things about it, but that's around £170 and MBs for it seem to be just a bit too far onto the expensive side. If someone can suggest a good, cheap MB to go with it that puts it inside my price range though, I'd defenitly give it serious consideration.

Thanks in advance. :)

Behind you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

If you're wanting a new motherboard and CPU, the Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 is about £50.  This board is great for non-multi GPU configurations, for those you need an AMD 990FX-based motherboard.  You will need more than that and a CPU.  You also need DDR3 memory like Crucial 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz at about £30.  Keep in mind that you will need to reinstall your OS and Windows Vista, and certainly XP, don't have the scheduler optimization that FX-based CPU's need for best performance.  Windows 7 has the scheduler applied as a hotfix, but Windows 8 has it fully integrated with the OS, so it performs a little better.  Windows 8 will be about about £67.  Moreover, you'll need to reinstall your OS if you decide to stick with what you have, and you may need to repurchase Vista and/or XP if you aren't using a full, boxed, retail edition.  Finally, you need a CPU, the AMD FX-6300 as you mentioned earlier is about £100.

You need to increase your budget slightly if you want to make this work well.

3939.png

#3 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part to hope my old DDR2 ram would suffice. :)The OS upgrade though, is something that will have to wait, if it can. As for the re-install, i knew that it had to be done, but will the system boot at all before I re-install, after I put all the new equipment in? Or will I have to take my HDD to someone elses computer to back up all the things I've been far too slack in backing up, before I format?

Behind you...

#4 scragnoff

scragnoff

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Before reformatting, it would be a good thing to backup your data in another storage unit, preferably another hard disk.  I've tried reinstalling on a hard disk with a Windows system already installed, and it didn't work out so good.

Logical Increments - The PC builder's friend. Always free. Always Awesome.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Vista and XP do not have the scheduler for the FX CPU's built in, or even available as a hotfix, so you are taking a performance hit with some workloads.  I suggest you try and get Windows 7 or 8 if at all possible, especially if you are going to be doing anything intensive like gaming, rendering, or scientific calculations.  The system will probably not be able to boot if you don't reinstall the OS as there are low level drivers and configuration settings that have changed.  A full reinstall of the operating system is needed.  You should back everything up before you do any kind of upgrade, especially one of this scale.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users